• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A Identification

danjrofpa

Hello, I am new to this site and have just purchased a trailer mounted 003A from a fire company here in central PA. The generator shows 46 hours and according to the tag on the dipstick has not reached it's first 100 hour oil change and there is a metal tool box mounted on the trailer that houses a sledge hammer, ground rod puller, ground rods and all are still in the cardboard boxes. The metal tag that should be mounted on the side of the control panel has been removed for some reason and I was wondering if there is any way to identify when this unit was built and who built it. The engine block has ONAN cast into it. Just for the record, I almost bought a civilian generator before coming across this unit and I am very glad that I did not, every time I pull something apart on this unit I am amazed at the quality, I cannot imagine what the cost would be of a unit built to these specs. would be today.Thanks in advance for any input.

danjrofpa

No, It did not come with manuals, the seller ran it for me before I purchased it. I got it home and completely cleaned out the fuel system before I started it again, it was pretty gummed up.

steelandcanvas

If I remember correctly, the 003A on a 116 trailer cost the gooberment about $13K from the manufacturer. That genset will outlast any civilian set, as you can plainly see by its engineering. Good catch, be sure and download those TM's and get familiar with you new toy.

storeman

Idle affects/damages voltage regulator. Bring it to 60 cycles (1800 rpm) and leave the throttle set there. It is in the operator -12 TM somewhere.
Jerry

Triple Jim

This is a subject of confusion. Some generators have regulators that directly supply current to the field, and if you run the engine slowly, the regulator will work extra hard to try to keep the output voltage up. In some cases, this could damage the regulator. The MEP-002A and MEP-003A's regulator and exciter field current supply system works differently from this. A special transformer and diode bridge supply current to the exciter field. The regulator sends current through control windings in the transformer to reduce exciter field current. This means that if you run the engine slowly, the regulator will try to keep up the output voltage by reducing its output. I have verified this with measurements, and have installed a regulator current meter in my MEP-003A's control panel. The current varies between about 0.15 Amps when the engine is running its slowest with no load, and about 0.40 Amps when the engine is running fastest with a load. Turning down the front panel voltage adjustment momentarily increases regulator current, but then it seems to settle back down.

The simple answer is that running the engine of an MEP-002A or MEP-003A slowly does not put extra load on the regulator. I do think it's good advice to say not to idle the engine with a load, since the frequency will be way off 60 Hz and the engine cooling will be lower than it's designed for, and fundamentally there's no good reason to run off from 1800 RPM (60 Hz) with a load connected. Also, there's no reason to run slower to warm up the engine, etc..

The MEP-002A manual does say not to run the engine at low speed, but doesn't say why. I have not found that warning in the MEP-003A manual. I agree with Jerry ^ that the best procedure is to set the engine at 1800 RPM and leave it there.

Last edited:

danjrofpa

OK, Now i am starting to panic, yesterday while tinkering, I ran it at full speed (60 KW) for awhile then left it idle to cool, shut it down, tinkered a little more, started generator..tried to get HZ to 60... needles would not move, checked voltage...Voltage was good, panicked a little....Had to leave for 3 hours to take my son in law to the recruiting office, he left for the Marines boot camp. Back home checked all connections including grounds on frame, started generator and all seems normal, seems great but just lost a little confidence in my new purchase. I should add that I had load tested the unit several times prior to this incident. NOW WHAT?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you know why people preach about reading the TM's for equipment your unfamiliar with . Time to start searching threads on mep generators.

Isaac-1

You may have a flaky frequency transponder that connects to the frequency meter, these parts are prone to age related failure, they not only fail, but also tend to read off by as much as 2 or 3 hz before they fail. It is best to confirm correct 60 hz operation with a good multimeter (cheap multi meters often do not read frequency correctly on generators often showing some multiple of the true operating frequency), a cheap alternative is a $20-$25 Kill-A-Watt meter P4400 (they have other models, but the basic P4400 is the cheapest, and reads freq. (not all do))

NEIOWA

Hello, I am new to this site and have just purchased a trailer mounted 003A from a fire company here in central PA. ...
Be very certainly you actually purchased equipment the FD OWNED.

Most DOD surplus equipment in Fire Dept is still owned by Uncle Sam. Was transfered from DOD to US Forestry, who handreciept (loaned) to a state Forestry Dept, who loaned to a FD. No cost to the FD. The program is call FEPP (Federal Excess Property Program) and has been around for 60years. Message is the Feds still own most of the DOD (and GSA) surplus property found in Fire Dept. IE not theirs to sell. State Foresters are supposed to inventory (actual gov't employee eyes on all the FEPP property every 2 years. May or may not happen.

There is a new (about 4 yr) program called FFP (Firefighter Program) where FD gets the equipment with title. But only a few states are participating and the equipment can not be disposed of for 5yr. Same as the LESO program where for many years cops have funded the donut and scholarship program by acquiring DOD surplus equipment.

Be very sure legitimate deal. Contact state forester w/serial http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/wildfire/vfd/fepp/index.htm

1800 Diesel

Most DOD surplus equipment in Fire Dept is still owned by Uncle Sam. Was transfered from DOD to US Forestry, who handreciept (loaned) to a state Forestry Dept, who loaned to a FD. No cost to the FD. The program is call FEPP (Federal Excess Property Program) and has been around for 60years. Message is the Feds still own most of the DOD (and GSA) surplus property found in Fire Dept. IE not theirs to sell. State Foresters are supposed to inventory (actual gov't employee eyes on all the FEPP property every 2 years. May or may not happen.

There is a new (about 4 yr) program called FFP (Firefighter Program) where FD gets the equipment with title. But only a few states are participating and the equipment can not be disposed of for 5yr. Same as the LESO program where for many years cops have funded the donut and scholarship program by acquiring DOD surplus equipment.

Be very sure legitimate deal. Contact state forester w/serial http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/wildfire/vfd/fepp/index.htm
That may or may not explain the missing data plate [containing the SN].....as these require drilling out four rivets for removal of the plate...

Last edited:

johnray13

Okay, I might get flamed for saying this, but after the sale that had legitimate/ honest intent...why would you stoke a hornets nest?

I would never buy property I had reason to believe may have been stolen or improperly obtained. But after what I concluded was an honest deal, I would take my generator quietly and go home. I would most certainly not notify the Federal Government of it's Serial Number and tell them that I 'might' be in the illegal possession of their property.

I would, however, safely store the bill of sale, just in case I needed to prove that I bought it from so and so for $XXX, which was to my knowledge a legit sale.

My 2 cents

John

Last edited:

LuckyDog

Okay, I might get flamed for saying this,
:burn:(Couldn't resist..)
but after the sale that had legitimate/ honest intent...why would you stoke a hornets nest?
Because ignorance of the law is no defense. You might want to check with a lawyer about using that as a defense in a situation like this.

I would never buy property I had reason to believe may have been stolen or improperly obtained. But after what I concluded was an honest deal, I would take my generator quietly and go home. I would most certainly not notify the Federal Government of it's Serial Number and tell them that I 'might' be in the illegal possession of their property.

I would, however, safely store the bill of sale, just in case I needed to prove that I bought it from so and so for $XXX, which was to my knowledge a legit sale.

My 2 cents

John
While that sounds really good, who is to say that "so and so" won't tell the Feds in a plea bargain that he told you the truth? That you KNEW what you were getting. That's why he took off the data plate with the serial number and you agreed to the sale.

Do what you want. You have that right.

But, now that I know about this situation, I (i'm not OP) would be more careful with buying from LEO or FD. Just me. (I break enough laws on a daily basis. I don't want them having a reason to look at me)

Good Luck:tank:

danjrofpa

Oh, I am sorry, did I say fire company? I meant to type fine company, yes it was a very fine company that I purchased the generator from. That being said, can we go back to the original question of identifying the unit? FYI, the data plate fell off of thetrailer also so no help there. Thank you for all of your help so far. Attaching a picture of my fine find!:-DDSC05820.jpg

Jimc

thats interesting you have rubber flaps under the control panel for throttle control and slave. havent seen that before

btw, every mep-003a i have seen, which is what you have there, was manufactured by libby welding corp. most common manufacture date range from 1982 to 1992. im sure there are older and newer ones but that range seems most common.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks