• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A no electricity generated

keen4007

Sorry sewerzuk for jumping in on another's thread first time on this site and I have a long learning curve, rec'd your note about the VR board as possible culprit as to why my MEP003A is not generating. Is there an easy test for the board as I am a relunctant parts changer and like to know I replacing a defective part. Thanks for any help, Lee

Isaac-1

We need a bit more information, where are you testing (output lugs, outlet, before the breaker, panel, etc), how are you testing (panel meter, multi meter, etc), etc. Do you really mean no electricity or just VERY LOW electricity. (like 5-10 volts AC...)

Ike

keen4007

I have only tried the 120V outlet, however , there is no needle movement of either amp or voltmeter gauges front panel, freq meter is badly corroded and would not register anything anyway. I am using a multimeter and have no voltage reading

Lee

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of things that can cause a lack of power generation. You've got to go through the TM. I had a minor intermittent field flashing problem due to an old, cracked 1N4722 diode behind the K1 relay. You must determine if the flashing circuitry is working. If it is, you need to determine if the gen head actually produces power. Start with those points.

John

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to find out if you are really not generating anything or not. From what you just described of your generator, you can't trust the outlet for the source of your test. The little breaker could be bad, the outlet might not even be wired up or a whole host of other issues could be involved here.

The best thing to do is CAREFULLY measure the voltage off of some of the leads going to the main breaker where they exit the reconnection switch. Or if you can follow them, from the leads coming into the box from the generator head itself. If you have nothing there, follow the procedure in the TM and remove the field wires going to the head and place 12 volts from a battery across the field leads. This will isolate the problem to either the head or the machine itself.

MarcusOReallyus

You need to find out if you are really not generating anything or not. From what you just described of your generator, you can't trust the outlet for the source of your test. The little breaker could be bad, the outlet might not even be wired up or a whole host of other issues could be involved here.

The best thing to do is CAREFULLY measure the voltage off of some of the leads going to the main breaker where they exit the reconnection switch. Or if you can follow them, from the leads coming into the box from the generator head itself. If you have nothing there, follow the procedure in the TM and remove the field wires going to the head and place 12 volts from a battery across the field leads. This will isolate the problem to either the head or the machine itself.

There ya go! In the electronics world we call this, "circuit splitting". The idea is to find a place in the circuit where it DOES work, and a place where it doesn't work. Now you know the problem is somewhere in between. So, pick a point in the circuit halfway (roughly) between the two. If it works there, find a point halfway to the failure point. Check there. If it doesn't work there, go back.

By finding a working point, and a non-working point, then going halfway in between each time, you get to where the fault is in minimum time.

It's the same idea as calling in artillery fire. You want to bracket the problem with as few rounds as possible.

Get the idea?

In your case, you know where it doesn't work, so go as far back as you can easily go and test. If it's no good there, you have to go farther back.

At some point, you've gone as far as you can, and you now know where the problem is.

keen4007

All great advice, I have downloaded the TM and have read through it several times. Will post the results of the troubleshooting techniques discribed therein.

keen4007

OK I checked voltage @ 120V outlet 0.47V, checked across L1-L0, 0.47V, L3-L0 0.47V, across L1-L3 0.94V, at reconnection switch leads going to main breaker 0.39V

keen4007

You'll need to get more detailed, Munchie. The last time I flashed a field I was running as fast as I could during halftime at homecoming game in high school:)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are only about 300,000 threads about flashing the field of an MEP-002a and or MEP-003a generators...search is your friend!

keen4007

MEP003A no electricity generated

On page 151 of TM Chapter 8 there is a test to isolate the trouble to gen or reg. after connecting 12V as suggested when I try to start engine the breaker on control panel kicks and I lose all DC. Before I search further does this mean anything to anyone?

Lee

MarcusOReallyus

Sorry, I thought I was searching by asking questions on this site. I'll keep looking for answers

No, searching is going to the "Auxiliary Equipment" forum main page, clicking on "Search", and typing in some relevant terms, then reading the threads that come of to see if the issue has already been covered.

While 300,000 might be a bit of an exaggeration (maybe just a bit), I did find a few threads just by searching on "manually flash field".

Here's what I got:

Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - Search Results

If you don't get results that help, try some different search terms.

The more you search, the better you get at choosing search terms that give the results you want. A lot of things in life are like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks