• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A no electricity generated

Munchies

Close but no :beer: yet.

We are trying to do it manually. It normally gets flashed at startup. Now you need to flash the field with wire to a battery. Completely seperate ofter on board circuit. Think the flash is 12v but double check.
Something like 6v on the mep016 head.

go to the troubleshooting section of the tm and see the engine runs but does not produce voltage diagnostic flow.

derf

A 12V flash would probably work. You just need to give it a little magnetism to start the process. Once it gets a little it can build the rest. Usually the residual magnetism is sufficient unless the set has been unused for a long time.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
did a manual field flash by turning switch to start while engine running at 1800 rpm but it did not change a thing. Tried to isolate the gen and reg per page 151 of TM but my front panel breaker kicks out, I'm stumped
You are probably disconnecting the wrong wires. The two wires you are to disconnect shouldn't trip the DC breaker. Did you open the side box and visually inspect the DC bridge board and equipment in that box?

keen4007

I disconnected and connected to 12V source the two wires the TM directed me to on page 151. If they were wrong I don't have a clue which two to use. The location and numbers on wires were exactly as the TM said.

keen4007

A 12V flash would probably work. You just need to give it a little magnetism to start the process. Once it gets a little it can build the rest. Usually the residual magnetism is sufficient unless the set has been unused for a long time.

12V flash wire to what, I get that several of you want me to manually flash the gen but someone is going to have to tell me what wire to flash. Every wire is marked and the TM identfies every connection, so if someone knows what that is just tell me please

keen4007

You are probably disconnecting the wrong wires. The two wires you are to disconnect shouldn't trip the DC breaker. Did you open the side box and visually inspect the DC bridge board and equipment in that box?

I owe you an apology, you were right about the wires sort of, I disconnected the correct wires but I connected the 12V to the wires instead of the terminal board. when I connected them correctly and started the engine I not only did not kick the breaker it produced electricity which I guess tells me the VR board is bad. Again thanks for helping me.

derf

Yes, if you get output when you apply 12V (or just about any DC) to the field and you don't get output with the field connected to the VR then you most likely have a bad VR. The VR regulates the DC that it feeds to the field which in turn controls AC output from the gen head.
You probably need a new VR or a repair done to your VR. The TM covers diagnosis and repair of the VR.
Several of us, myself included, are fans of using a more modern SX460 VR that is available for around $60.

keen4007

After getting the 12V wired to the correct spot (long sad story) the gen is putting out voltage. So I will be needing a VR. Where would I obtain one of these new style SX 460 VR's?

derf

I obtain mine from that auction site that rhymes with flea-ray.
There are a few threads about them. Search this forum.

Isaac-1

Before giving up on your old VR you might try repairing it, it seems the most common failure point is the output transistor (although they do tend to cause the voltage to go high not low), they are fairly easy to replace just a couple of screws holding them down and a couple of solder points (just use a heat sink while soldering to avoid over heating the transistor (hold with pliers to absorb the heat, etc)), they only cost about $5 or so.

Ike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks