• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep003a No voltage

Scottl

Hi, I recently got a mep 003a dice roll generator and im having some troubles with it. This generator set has 2 hours on it. What happened is upon starting the generator the throttle linkage must have been sticking and the hertz needle kept pegging at 65 hz. i shut the generator off and on a few times to try to adjust the idle. And now it has no output at all needles too the left. does anyone have an idea what is happening or what happened and how to go about fixing it? prior to this the unit did have voltage output i have checked all of the obvious things such as breakers switch settings etc. could there be an internal fail safe i am missing? thankyou,
Scott

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you familiar with Army Tech manuals?

Have you read the operating instructions and understand how to control the engine speed? Do you know you cannot idle that genset without possible damage to the voltage regulator?

Have you flashed the field, as outlined in the instructions?

derf

There is a range in which the freq meters will work. If you lower the engine RPM too much, it will peg the freq meter to the left. You kinda get a feel for what 1800 RPM is like and then you can judge better.

I think it is important for those gens to start and go straight to operating RPM, 1800, and remain there until shut down.

The tech manuals are a good start. I suggest you get your engine under control first and then see about making power with the gen head. You may want to disconnect the field or entire VR while you troubleshoot the engine.

Scottl

Hi and thanks for responding. I have a pdf file of the Tech Manual for this generator and have briefly looked through it. I understand how to control the engine speed and I do understand you do not want to idle the genset. I am not familiar with this flashing the field? are the instructions to do this somewhere in the Tech Manual?

derf

If it was making power you probably do not need to flash the field. Concentrate on getting the proper 1800RPM first. If you have to, set it back where it was and back it down gradually.
At 1800 those sets are good and loud but not screaming like demons.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To flash the field, you simply turn the start switch to the start position, while running. It has a stater interlock sensed by oil pressure.

This should be in the TM.

keen4007

Mep003a

Scott, I hope you get an answer to you 003A problem as I am experiencing the same with mine. so far I haven't had much luck, maybe you will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks