• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep003a Oil Leak between Flywheel Housing a Generator Assembly

Allen9999

This is a continuation from an earlier post dated 07-29-2012, 16:38
Subj.Mep003a Fuel injector parts
I Thank you all. the generator NOW RUNS EXCEPT
The current problem is a oil leak and its filling the flywheel housing. I noticed the leak after its first continuous 16 minutes of smooth run time since I purchased this beast from GL AP Hill several months ago. What I have done so far. All oil/Fuel filters changed, gas tank cleaned fuel pumps cleaned check valve before IP rebuilt the IP, rebuilt the injectors a change glow plugs adjusted the valves. All valuable real world experiences and advise provided from this site. :D

My second attempt to run the next morning hoping for a miracle that this leak would magical fix its self (not a chance in H) watching the oil gauge and listening for any hick up in the motor. Again after 16 minutes the leak occurred from the bottom of flywheel and now I noticed oil oozing from the timing hole. And I thought it was a small leak.:sad:
The generator is two hrs away I'm now back in Fredericksburg attempting to arm my self with knowledge to ID the root cause.

I looked through the TM 24P I noticed on page 182 three parts Ive never heard of could be the problem they are:
Plug Pipe
Spring Helical Compression
Oil Valve
What are these?
My thoughts are this is going to get ugly separating the generator assembly from the engine. Advice any magical quick fixes?

derf

Doesn't that unit have an oil cooler? Maybe you'll get lucky and it won't be a main bearing seal.

derf

I think the oil cooler may be on the other end but IIRC there is something to check on the flywheel end, maybe the oil pressure gauge?

Allen9999

Yes it does have an oil cooler. What should i look for?aua I have months ago during my trouble shooting when I first bought this Green Machine loosened these the lines to verify oil was flowing torqued the line afterwards. Further I should have mentioned this in the 1st thread OIL PRESSURE is 30/40 PSI. I'm a Rookie

Last edited:

derf

I'd see if there's an inspection plate or something on the end that is leaking. A borescope might be useful. I'd ID the leak before I started pulling the gen head. I think the oil pressure gauge is plumbed into the flywheel end but I'm not sure.

Allen9999

Derf
I agree splitting this unit is not what I want to do. Plus I have a primitive place to trouble shoot and I'm limited by the two hr drive. I dont have access to this Gen now but I think the oil pressure gauge is plumbed towards the front end Blower end. Yesterday I looked for some access area it appears the only way in is to remove 20 or so bolts. What is IIRC?

derf

IIRC is If I Recall Correctly.

Bring a small inspection mirror and a borescope, if you have access to one.

There is probably a fitting or plug in the end of the oil gallery system.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the oil cooler at all. That is on the wrong end of the motor.

There is no inspection port...I'm afraid you are going to have to pull the gen head and flywheel off to find the source of the leak. Even if you can see it with a mirror or bore scope, you'll need to pull the head and flywheel to fix it, so why not just bring it home where you can work on it and pull the thing apart and fix it right.

The three parts you mentioned are all behind the flywheel and you have no access to them without flywheel removal.

The oil pressure gauge is plumbed in right off of the oil filter housing, so that's not the problem either.

Bring it home where you can work on it and split it open.

Allen9999

Speddmon
I'm all about fixing it right trust me on that. Splitting this unit was what I thought all along. Not really my best case.
My primitive place as describe is just by the 2hr drive and the limited time I can get away. I have a tractor house it wont be left out side for this JOB. SS has been a tremendous help with this Gen. project.

Towing this to Fredericksburg is unfortunately not a option. Historic district I can imagine the complaints and fines because I violated a noise clause.

Ok Ill prepare for the split what should I be looking for? Those three parts I ID
Plug Pipe
Spring Helical Compression
Oil Valve
I'm I on the right track? That doesn't look that difficult the seperation will be the hardest. I'll keep you posted

Thanks

Grega

Sounds like a bad rear oil main seal. I did a google search on mep 003a rear oil seal and a place poped up where you can get one. Rymes with pee pay. From what you done to the genny so far, you have the ability to pull the gen head and change it. Keep us updated

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling the head is not that big of a deal. It's more of a PITA putting it back on. I was going to suggest a rear main be what you were describing. The parts you listed are for the oil pressure regulator, probably not the issue.

Keith_J

I'll put IIRC in my tool box
In regards to the oil cooler I want to be sure this was mentioned because of possible blockage. I'm I correct?
Oil flow through the cooler is thermostatically controlled, you shouldn't have any meaningful flow when cold. The thermostat is under the filter housing.

Check the crankcase breather, if this is obstructed, crankcase pressure can force oil out of the rear main seal.

Allen9999

Keith

I don't want this question to appear stupid after all I am mechanically inclined. However Crankcase breather (description page reference number in TM would be helpful. I'm all ears brother. This sounds better than splitting the engine and generator assembly. Keep in mind I'm new to this Green Machine so I use the TM and any other Onan manual I can find.

Thanks
Tony

Last edited:

Allen9999

LuckyDog

Last night I thought I was in the right direction on Keiths suggestion, I just wasnt sure thanks for the confirmation.
When I adjusted the valves I did clean the Rocker Arm Cover Oil lines Fig 4-39. I did not the touch the breather pipe seems simple Fig. 4-41 item #11.

Thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks