• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A Ok to run in the rain / jump start?

Triple Jim

1,500 watts ÷ 28 volts = 53 amps. Even with some overload capacity of the 28v generator, it seems a bit low to be able to start an 003A. If it's been done and I'm wrong, I'll take it all back. :-D

Guyfang

Staff member
You are probably right. Come to think of it, I have never started one without batteries in it. Normally, we just hooked it up waited 5-10 minutes and then fired it off. Need to see what the starter pulls for amps. Been too long for me to remember what it was.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I light off my gens 802&803 once a month. Hook up some heaters for load and let run for 15min. Seems to get the batteries back up over 25v. In addition to keeping everything lubed. Walmart has 1500w heaters for $10 each

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Jim,

The total draw and hold amperage test for the starter is 25 Amps. But I THINK that's for a bench test, so it will be higher when installed on the set. I have not found anything else in the TM's to answer the question. So I will say that I don't know, but will try and ask someone smarter then me.

Chainbreaker

do you think the 1.5 will start an MEP oo3a even if the MEP 003a doesn't have any batteries?
Not sure of your intent, however I seem to recall reading somewhere on this site that you are not supposed to disconnect the batteries while the genset is running. I thought it had something to do with the voltage regulator not having a load on it. So if you were able to start a MEP-002a/003a without batteries and then disconnect the slave source that would be the same as disconnecting a battery. Am I right or confused about that?

BTW, Happy New Year everyone! May we all remain safe, warm, dry and powered up!

Last edited:

Triple Jim

I believe the problem with running an 002A or 003A without a battery mainly comes from the noise suppression capacitors in various places like the fuel pumps and on the regulator itself. With the stock regulator, and without a battery, the capacitors are forced to try to filter the rectified but unfiltered DC from the regulator, but they're too small to succeed, so they get hot and fail. There may be other oddities from running the control system on unfiltered DC, but I don't know of anything else that would actually be damaged. Just because I don't know of anything else doesn't mean there isn't anything else though.

justacitizen

I may be wrong,but i think if you run an MEP 003a or 2a without the batteries it will overheat the DC voltage regulator. i was of the opinion there is an aftermarket VR for the DC that can be used that allows the set to be run without batteries. again i may be wrong

justacitizen

Thank You! I wonder how many amps it takes to start an MEP 003A? would a gear reduction starter make a difference?

1,500 watts ÷ 28 volts = 53 amps. Even with some overload capacity of the 28v generator, it seems a bit low to be able to start an 003A. If it's been done and I'm wrong, I'll take it all back. :-D

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been thinking about getting a military surplus 28 volt generators as a battery charger and as a jump starter for my 24 volt stuff. has anyone ever used one?
Yes, I have two units that I use. Great little generator (28v). Won't start a stone dead truck but will charge up low batteries in about 10 minutes. Starts a 002/003 with no problem. Haven't tried a generator without batteries. A buddy of mine has several in stock, PM if interested.

STLvortac

On the subject of solargizers, do they have any drain on the battery when not exposed to the sun? I know my 12v battery maintainer warns against leaving it connected to the battery if not plugged in to AC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks