• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A Starts, but then stops either when starter released or after about 20 minutes running

SteveH

If Ray does not have one, I have a vr that i removed from my 002a, it was working when i removed it,if that would work? I am also in RI
Not sure if it's the same regulator in the 002a, but think it probably is.

Reviewing options at the moment; I do have some power from a neighbors generator, but will probably need to take that back to run his freezers shortly.

Wondering if I can find out what's wrong with the Honda - can't believe it's got a problem as well, but would be good if I can find a regulator.

I'm in the NW corner of CT, so western MA is a lot closer, but may come down if that looks like the only option. Do you have power? Up here is like a war zone...

-Steve

SteveH

I would not run it in that condition. I have never IR temped one of these, so unfortunately I have little to add there. Unfortunately I dont have a spare VR for an 00x here in MA. I will text @Ray70 to see if he has anything he can offer (based in RI).
Thanks. I'm in the NW corner of CT, so Western Mass is pretty close. Really appreciate the help!

Also: I agree, I've decided not to run the MEP until the regulator is fixed. I have a 'knife' cut off on the batteries, and I noticed it was arcing when I was checking the voltages. Not good...

rickf

You are going to have to get into that air box to see what is going on. Either it has crap (nest) in it or your ducting has failed. Either way, if it worked before and it is not now that tells you that there is an issue and you will destroy it if you keep denying it and keep running it. I don't know why it is ducted, unit is inside house?, but can you just remove the ducting for this emergency? Obviously not if inside building.

SteveH

You are going to have to get into that air box to see what is going on. Either it has crap (nest) in it or your ducting has failed. Either way, if it worked before and it is not now that tells you that there is an issue and you will destroy it if you keep denying it and keep running it. I don't know why it is ducted, unit is inside house?, but can you just remove the ducting for this emergency? Obviously not if inside building.
Yes - I definitely want to get in there; though it was running a LOT cooler this morning (before I noticed the DC problem). I had hoped to do that today, during daylight - but then saw the regulator had failed, AND my backup Honda has an issue..... (can't believe this...)

The reason it has ducting is because it is inside a shed....

OK: Honda is running again (took carb to pieces and cleaned, reassembled - though I swear all the jets looked clean. That keeps the aquariums running while I work out what to do with the MEP003a.

I just found the post from @Triple Jim (while looking for details of his replacement DC regulators).

It appears that if I remove the fuse near the Oil Filter, then the batteries will be disconnected from the unregulated DC. I have a 24 Charger - that's what keeps the batteries topped up normally, so I could keep them charged with that.

So, I'm considering doing this (and ordering one of Jim's chargers - perhaps both a DC and AC one...just in case).

I wondered if anyone had done this? (just want to make sure that running it that way for a few days isn't going to damage anything else...)

Now going to pull the covers to look for mouse nests....

Last edited:

rickf

I tested My generator the other day and it started up and ran just fine. Was cutting wood a couple weeks ago, again no problems. Storm comes through and destroys everything and generator batteries are dead! My M-151 is not running so can't jump it with the slave and I couldn't reach it if I could so I had to get REALLY creative with two sets of very long home made sets of jumper cables made from welding cable. Clamped together and with my pickup wedged against the house I just managed to reach the generator with the cables. So I could charge up one battery and then move over to the other and while jumping that one I was able to start the generator. Ok, I am in the clear........................... CRASH! The biggest pine tree in my back yard splits about 20 feet up, twists around and drops inches from the storage container with all of my M37 parts in it! Now the tree is still hanging on by not a whole lot more than the outer layer on one side and one big branch laying on the container. I spent all morning moving and pulling everything else out from under it and I was sweating mainly because I really did NOT want to be under or next to that tree! Get the chain saw out and it will not run! It will start but not stay running. I know it is bad gas, have had this issue in the past. The damn gas goes bad in three weeks max. That's OK, I think I am going to call the tree guys for this one. I am just getting too old for this stuff!
Everything works fine when you don't need it.

rickf

Yea, I need to get an outside outlet at that end of the house. I actually need to get all of my electrical work done, the 110 outlets, the 220 transfer input and the 30 amp out for the RV.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes - I definitely want to get in there; though it was running a LOT cooler this morning (before I noticed the DC problem). I had hoped to do that today, during daylight - but then saw the regulator had failed, AND my backup Honda has an issue..... (can't believe this...)

The reason it has ducting is because it is inside a shed....

OK: Honda is running again (took carb to pieces and cleaned, reassembled - though I swear all the jets looked clean. That keeps the aquariums running while I work out what to do with the MEP003a.

I just found the post from @Triple Jim (while looking for details of his replacement DC regulators).

It appears that if I remove the fuse near the Oil Filter, then the batteries will be disconnected from the unregulated DC. I have a 24 Charger - that's what keeps the batteries topped up normally, so I could keep them charged with that.

So, I'm considering doing this (and ordering one of Jim's chargers - perhaps both a DC and AC one...just in case).

I wondered if anyone had done this? (just want to make sure that running it that way for a few days isn't going to damage anything else...)

Now going to pull the covers to look for mouse nests....
Yes you can remove the in line fuse and it breaks the circuit. Thats exactly what I have done on my 002... using a double battery charger hooked to the batteries, and powered off the convenience outlet when running (otherwise plugged into a cord during standby).

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
103444021_545995216091792_1084174806299988344_o.jpg
102818656_545995222758458_3013129966534044397_o.jpg

This little gem has been going for almost 24 hours straight, without as much as a hiccup. They are saying tentatively that power may be restored around 11P on 8/7. We'll see.....

SteveH

Yes you can remove the in line fuse and it breaks the circuit. Thats exactly what I have done on my 002... using a double battery charger hooked to the batteries, and powered off the convenience outlet when running (otherwise plugged into a cord during standby).
Great - thanks.

Found the root cause of my problems - the shutter box was FULL of insulation, acorns nuts and mouse droppings. Cleared it out, checked the vents are opening and put all the ductwork back. I HATE mice....

As suggested, I'm now running with the 24v charger plugged into the convenience outlet. I was surprised that the voltmeter on the panel seems to be reading the voltage over the battery (not the voltage from the regulator). I'm going to buy one of Jims regulators and fit it though.

Now keeping my fingers crossed it will keep running - it looks like we may be without power for several days.

A big thanks to everyone who made suggestions, and the offers of help via PM. My wife was amazed at the community spirit/support....

-Steve

Chainbreaker

If it ran really hot for any length of time I would consider doing an oil change afterwards. Since these are air, as well as oil cooled via oil cooler, you want to make sure the oil is good-to-go for the next go around.

Chainbreaker

Also, you should consider putting a bag of moth balls, sold in boxes where moth balls are packaged in those breathable plastic pouches, somewhere inside your ASK enclosure. Mothballs helps keep all kinds of critters out of stuff.

SteveH

If it ran really hot for any length of time I would consider doing an oil change afterwards. Since these are air, as well as oil cooled via oil cooler, you want to make sure the oil is good-to-go for the next go around.
That's a good point - thanks. Hoping it will be good for now, don't know how many days I'm going to have run on it...but will add to the list to do once power returns.

SteveH

Also, you should consider putting a bag of moth balls, sold in boxes where moth balls are packaged in those breathable plastic pouches, somewhere inside your ASK enclosure. Mothballs helps keep all kinds of critters out of stuff.
It already had tubs of mothballs, replaced every year in there - and a coke-bottle bucket trap in the shed! I knew there was a mouse problem, but my biggest concern was then chewing wires.

I'm not sure if there's anything that really works - I was wondering this evening about those 'sonic' pest repellents...

rickf

Light in the dark, I was looking at that charger of yours and I was thinking about one thing, IF that has a common ground then it will be shorting the two 12 volt batteries to 24 volt at the ground instead of running series. You can only charge two batteries that are hooked up in series while they are hooked up if the charging system has isolated grounds. Obviously if yours has been working and the magic smoke has not escaped then that must be the case but I wanted to put that out there just for general knowledge. I just made that mistake while jumping mine from my diesel pickup with two batteries. I figured one set of cables from each truck battery to each generator battery and never though about the ground. I was reminded very quickly as I touched the second ground at the generator! Thankfully the batteries buffered it and my truck alternator survived. That and the generator batteries were low so it was only at about 16-18 volts. DOH!!!!! You tend not to think when the wind is whipping the trees over your head and it is raining hard as hell and you are playing with things that spark. And the fact that I was aggravated.

Davygray

Great - thanks.

Found the root cause of my problems - the shutter box was FULL of insulation, acorns nuts and mouse droppings. Cleared it out, checked the vents are opening and put all the ductwork back. I HATE mice....

As suggested, I'm now running with the 24v charger plugged into the convenience outlet. I was surprised that the voltmeter on the panel seems to be reading the voltage over the battery (not the voltage from the regulator). I'm going to buy one of Jims regulators and fit it though.

Now keeping my fingers crossed it will keep running - it looks like we may be without power for several days.

A big thanks to everyone who made suggestions, and the offers of help via PM. My wife was amazed at the community spirit/support....

-Steve
I think I’m having the same issues , had mine running and powering my house after the storm went through ran it from about 8 pm to 10am with no problem. Shut it down when we went to work when we returned started it up ( 3pm ) ran for about an hour and it shut down. Went to investigate braker was still engaged turned breaker off attempted to start it, started right up but when I released the starter switch it shut down! I open up the control panel to make sure there where no issues I pulled the emergency stop button and reset it closed the compartment and restarted it and it worked normally! ???

when you say your shatter box was full of debris you taking about the open compartment or inside the shutters? My unit has the ASK.

Chainbreaker

I think I’m having the same issues , had mine running and powering my house after the storm went through ran it from about 8 pm to 10am with no problem. Shut it down when we went to work when we returned started it up ( 3pm ) ran for about an hour and it shut down. Went to investigate braker was still engaged turned breaker off attempted to start it, started right up but when I released the starter switch it shut down! I open up the control panel to make sure there where no issues I pulled the emergency stop button and reset it closed the compartment and restarted it and it worked normally! ???

when you say your shatter box was full of debris you taking about the open compartment or inside the shutters? My unit has the ASK.
If its shutting down right after you release the Start Switch its a safety circuit issue: its either not building oil pressure, the pressure switch is defective or its wiring or an overtemp condition exists, or a bad temp switch or issue with wiring to it.

What is oil pressure reading before you let go of switch? Do you know if the louvered shutters are opening at all when it is running?

You can jumper the oil switch and see if it makes a difference, if not jumper the temperature switch and see if that has an effect. Just remember that the safety circuit could be doing its job and there is a real problem with oil pressure or temperature.

Davygray

If its shutting down right after you release the Start Switch its a safety circuit issue: its either not building oil pressure, the pressure switch is defective or its wiring or an overtemp condition exists, or a bad temp switch or issue with wiring to it.

What is oil pressure reading before you let go of switch? Do you know if the louvered shutters are opening at all when it is running?

You can jumper the oil switch and see if it makes a difference, if not jumper the temperature switch and see if that has an effect. Just remember that the safety circuit could be doing its job and there is a real problem with oil pressure or temperature.
The luvers are opening And I checked the oil level before starting and oil pressure when I first started it earlier in the day and it was 40 psi

Scoobyshep

When you get it to fail jump the oil pressure switch. If it still fails jump the temp switch. See if either of them keep it running. Then you need to determine if it's a bad switch or the switch is protecting the set

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks