• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003a Unstable Voltage

Lukes_deuce

Hmm I knew I was getting off too easy. I'm guessing since it's a 12 pole generator that there are 12 diodes.

As for the access, I'm thinking you have to remove the grill cover and to do that you need to remove the entire generator head? If so, I'm going to reinstall the 4 I cleaned up and then see if she will power up.

Lukes_deuce

Good morning and a happy Easter to all! I had some time yesterday to find the other two diodes. I unbolted the end cover to the generator head. Having the ability to move the end cover was a huge help in removing & installing the diodes. I cleaned up the bases for the diodes and tightened everything back down. For anyone interested, the diodes are in a half moon shape base on left and right sides of the armature, if looking directly at the generator head. The diagrams in the manual only show (1) diode, but but bracket is pretty close to the actual piece. I tested the remaining two with the 12v light method and both checked out. Here is the interesting turn, as I would spin the cover around to access the different diodes, I heard a slight scraping sound, similar to flaking paint rubbing on metal. So I was looking around the inside of the generator body and saw two wires moving as I rotated the cover. I traced them back and they go to plug J12 near the main breakers, underneath the control panel. Both wires were cut clean off at the ring end of the terminal connection. Like they were cut. Physical wires looked to be in good shape. From what I have searched, those two are the exciter wires. So that leaves me puzzled once again.

With that said, here are my questions:
1) Could I have sheared those two connectors when I moved the generator head cover? I had the cover off about an inch from the original position.
2) Is this the same problem or another problem from the original low and then no power situation?
3) How hard is it to reattach those two wires?

IMG_0526.jpg
If you look to the right of the metal coil, you can see two white wires tucked away, in between the coil and cover. Those are the two wires which are loose.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I believe you posted before that you saw some sparks from this area when trying to operate the set? If so, now you know where your sparks came from.

The only way to find out the answer to 2 & 3 is to do it. Reattach the wires. No, I don't think its not hard to reattach them. But then I have done it once or twice before.

Yes, to question 1, if you spun the end cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks