• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep004

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you downloaded the TM's?
Your problem is probably in the S9-1 circuit or the Static Exciter. Initial excitation is done by the start switch. After the main gen lights off, the Static Exciter/volt Regulator takes over. You are getting initial excitation.

jamawieb

Pull the exciter box that is above the starter and take the cover off. I beat it's the T2 transformer is burned up. 1st option is to try and replace the transformer but more things will go bad or convert over to a modern Voltage regulator. Several threads about it, most recent being one of mine on a 005a. The 004a and 005 use the same set-up for almost everything. I really like the Marathon AVR I used in a 3 phase application.

catienla

Thanks guys. I have very little experience with this gen set, it has been fine since 2011 when I purchased it. I'll check the regulator. One more question, does the dc power for this come from the alternator on the engine or from the generator?

jamawieb

Thanks guys. I have very little experience with this gen set, it has been fine since 2011 when I purchased it. I'll check the regulator. One more question, does the dc power for this come from the alternator on the engine or from the generator?
DC comes from the alternator on the motor.

Guyfang

Staff member
The power comes from the DC system. The gen set runs just fine without an alternator. Battery power, or even jumped off from another gen set. If the set starts, you have the initial excitation voltage at hand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks