• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP004A Constant 200V

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, this is a very seldom failure. Normally, the voltage is there, or not. Thats why I said it would be nice if you had a known good Static Exciter. Pop it in, if the set works, you know right now it the exciter. The few times I have seen this type of failure, it was something like a bobbin on the exciter stator was bad, of a diode on the rotor assy. The first place I would look is in the exciter. But that means pulling out the card and testing all the components. PITA. You are making voltage. Thats why the freq. mater works. Just can not control it. For me, that points to the static exciter.

DACollins

I was testing some voltages this afternoon and checking some temperatures. The unit was running for approximately 10 minutes when the thermal temp was taken.
My question is, is this cause or effect?

On the larger trans. I got the following volt readings-
H1 - 179V
H2 - 181V
X1 - 30.3V
X2 - 58.2V
X3 - 142.3

This trans temp was highest in the top left corner as viewed from the outside. It was about 20 deg F. cooler elsewhere.

The first image is of transformer #45 on the TM page ref. 3-271
I did not test the voltages.

The second image is transformer #24 on the TM page ref. 3-271

The third image is #36. Temp. Voltages listed above.

Thoughts?
Much appreciation for your time!

Doug

IMG_20200427_143811360.jpg
IMG_20200427_143845143.jpgIMG_20200427_143826599.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
I'm going to have to show my ignorance at to where the static exciter or bobbins are. I was looking through the TM and cannot locate a decent image or schematic.
In the picture above, you are taking temp readings from the static exciter.

The bobbins are in the main gen. You have to remove the bell housing end cover. Open TM 9-6115-464-34 to PDF reader page #339. The bobbins, (excitor stator) test procedure will be in there someplace. Testing the diodes is also in there.

DACollins

I did check the diodes and all 6 came in at an average of .42 for continuity.

Having pierced the coating to make contact, do I need to re-coat or repair the coating?
As I read the TM test procedure for the windings, I don't have the equipment, just a DMM.
I will check the other transformers in the morning.

Thank you for your time and patience.
Doug

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
You do not check diodes for ohms. You check to see if the diode will let voltage go in one direction, and not the other.
And at least one side, better is both sides be unhooked. Most DMM have a diode testing function.

DACollins

You do not check diodes for ohms. You check to see if the diode will let voltage go in one direction, and not the other.
And at least one side, better is both sides be unhooked. Most DMM have a diode testing function.
Yes, I didn't check resistance. That's the reading I got with the base as cathode. The part # being 1N1009R, I found to be a reverse diode. I did not remove them, which I could.
Do I need to re coat the parts with anything when I'm done?

Thank you much
Doug

DACollins

I am trying to find the NSN for the transformers in the static exciter board. I have the numbers on the parts themselves, but don't seem to be in proper format. I also thought the TM would have some specs for the transformers. I'm at a hurdle.
In TM 9-6115-464-34, page 3-271, item #'s 24,36,45. The transformers specs are listed nowhere I can find.
I did not remove the trans from the board, but T1 - H1+H2 are nearly open. As well, T2 hovers in the 400F range when the set is started. I plan to test voltages tomorrow. Trying to find out what ranges I should be looking for. Additionally, where to find the parts if/when I want to replace them.
I have attached pics of T1 + T2 showing the numbers on them.IMG_20200508_135040081~2.jpg
Thank You.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
I am trying to find the NSN for the transformers in the static exciter board. I have the numbers on the parts themselves, but don't seem to be in proper format. I also thought the TM would have some specs for the transformers. I'm at a hurdle.
In TM 9-6115-464-34, page 3-271, item #'s 24,36,45. The transformers specs are listed nowhere I can find.
I did not remove the trans from the board, but T1 - H1+H2 are nearly open. As well, T2 hovers in the 400F range when the set is started. I plan to test voltages tomorrow. Trying to find out what ranges I should be looking for. Additionally, where to find the parts if/when I want to replace them.
I have attached pics of T1 + T2 showing the numbers on them.View attachment 799211
Thank You.
Look at TM9-6115-464-24P. Figure 34. Start with PDF page reader 145. All the NSN's are listed a few pages after the picture on page 145. What specs do you want? The -34 says to check for opens. Otherwise they should be good.

DACollins

Look at TM9-6115-464-24P. Figure 34. Start with PDF page reader 145. All the NSN's are listed a few pages after the picture on page 145. What specs do you want? The -34 says to check for opens. Otherwise they should be good.

Sorry, I thought I had downloaded all of the TMs. This one wasn't on the list. I found what you referred to exactly where you said.
Thank You!

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, TM's.
LO 9-6115-464-12 is the Lubrication Order.
TM 9-6115-464-10-HR is the Hand Receipt.
TM 9-6115-464-12 is the operators Manual.
TM 9-6115-464-24P is the parts manual.
TM 9-6115-464-34 is the Second and Third level of maintenance.

The LO tells you when, where and how to service the gen set. Very good document to read and follow. Most folks ignore it. The Army spent lots of time and money getting this document right.

The -10-HR is a listing of things that should or could be belong to the gen set. In your case, a document to be ignored, as you are not going to be driving all over Gods green earth em-placing and march ordering the set.

The -12 is the operators manual. Rich in info, and more often then not ignored, sad to say. It pays to know your machine, and reading this TM, or at least skimming through will answer many, many questions. It also contains the first level of maintenance for the gen set. Along with repair procedures.

The -24P is the parts manual. It tells you much more then that, if you know how to read it.

The -34 is second and third level maintenance and repair manual. Another manual full of info, but not read very often. The military is not concerned a lot with tech info, for instance like your transformers. The part works, or it doesn't. If it works, good. If not, replace it. So lots of info civilians would expect to find in the TM, is simply not there. That's why the Army has gotten away from fixing things, to changing parts. Its faster. Less down time.

Lets talk about the -24P. Keep in mind, that there are 3 different types of 15 KW. You have the MEP-004A. That's a Utility machine. Non governing system. Run of the mill set, good for most anything. Then is the MEP-103A. It has an electrical governing system. More sophisticated. When loads change, the governor adjusts the set to keep up with the changes. Last, is the MEP-113A. This set is 99.9% the same as the MEP-103A, except, it makes 400 hertz power. Missile systems and radars, etc.

Why do you need to know this? because the different gen sets, are not all built with the same parts. So you need to know what you have, when looking in the -24P. In the front of the -24P is a listing, on page 15, (PDF reader page #). On the right side you see model numbers. The model # MEP-004A has a code listed to the left, of CLD and for gen sets with serial numbers of KZ0001 thru Z01226 code CZL. If your gen set serial number is not between these two numbers, you can forget it. This is the UOC, Usable on code. That tells you what part to order, when there is the possibility that there are several different parts that might go in the same place. If for instance you look up the NSN or part number for the Main generator, you will see there are two different numbers. Or the frequency transducer. One is for 60 hertz sets. One is for 400 hertz sets. So if you look at a picture, and want to find a part, and it is listed with a UOC, then you need to stop and pay attention. Or you might order a 400 hertz part, instead of a 60 hertz part. The UOC, CLD is the number you need to remember.

Here is the first test. Look up the T1 in the static exciter. I think its item #29. What is the NSN and part number?

Now, on your pictures of transformers there was part numbers. T1 had the # 30554-72-2609 stamped on it. It is, and isn't, the part number. The first part, 30554 is called Manufactures Code, (MFR code, also known as a CAGE). Every company that supplies parts the the militarily, has a CAGE code. But that's a misnomer. Its may not be the manufacture, it my just be the Supplier. In this case, 30554 is the code for MEP, (Mobile Electric Power) a government organization. When you want to know who supplied the part, google CAGE code ***** and it will come up. Sometimes that the manufacturer, and sometimes just the supplier.

The second part, 72-2609 is the part number used by the supplier. If you looked close, you saw that the T1 has TWO part numbers, and two suppliers. In fact, there are about 10 suppliers and 10 different part numbers. Often, when you type in one number to search for, you get leads to other part numbers also.

When searching, never forget to also search for the NSN, (National Stock Number). This number is for the part meant to go in the set. There is only one NSN for 99.99% of the parts in the supply system, but there can be 10-20 part numbers. I always look for the NSN first, then the part number.

I could go on and on. But I am sure you don't want to hear it all.

DACollins

OK, TM's.
LO 9-6115-464-12 is the Lubrication Order.
TM 9-6115-464-10-HR is the Hand Receipt.
TM 9-6115-464-12 is the operators Manual.
TM 9-6115-464-24P is the parts manual.
TM 9-6115-464-34 is the Second and Third level of maintenance.

The LO tells you when, where and how to service the gen set. Very good document to read and follow. Most folks ignore it. The Army spent lots of time and money getting this document right.

The -10-HR is a listing of things that should or could be belong to the gen set. In your case, a document to be ignored, as you are not going to be driving all over Gods green earth em-placing and march ordering the set.

The -12 is the operators manual. Rich in info, and more often then not ignored, sad to say. It pays to know your machine, and reading this TM, or at least skimming through will answer many, many questions. It also contains the first level of maintenance for the gen set. Along with repair procedures.

The -24P is the parts manual. It tells you much more then that, if you know how to read it.

The -34 is second and third level maintenance and repair manual. Another manual full of info, but not read very often. The military is not concerned a lot with tech info, for instance like your transformers. The part works, or it doesn't. If it works, good. If not, replace it. So lots of info civilians would expect to find in the TM, is simply not there. That's why the Army has gotten away from fixing things, to changing parts. Its faster. Less down time.

Lets talk about the -24P. Keep in mind, that there are 3 different types of 15 KW. You have the MEP-004A. That's a Utility machine. Non governing system. Run of the mill set, good for most anything. Then is the MEP-103A. It has an electrical governing system. More sophisticated. When loads change, the governor adjusts the set to keep up with the changes. Last, is the MEP-113A. This set is 99.9% the same as the MEP-103A, except, it makes 400 hertz power. Missile systems and radars, etc.

Why do you need to know this? because the different gen sets, are not all built with the same parts. So you need to know what you have, when looking in the -24P. In the front of the -24P is a listing, on page 15, (PDF reader page #). On the right side you see model numbers. The model # MEP-004A has a code listed to the left, of CLD and for gen sets with serial numbers of KZ0001 thru Z01226 code CZL. If your gen set serial number is not between these two numbers, you can forget it. This is the UOC, Usable on code. That tells you what part to order, when there is the possibility that there are several different parts that might go in the same place. If for instance you look up the NSN or part number for the Main generator, you will see there are two different numbers. Or the frequency transducer. One is for 60 hertz sets. One is for 400 hertz sets. So if you look at a picture, and want to find a part, and it is listed with a UOC, then you need to stop and pay attention. Or you might order a 400 hertz part, instead of a 60 hertz part. The UOC, CLD is the number you need to remember.

Here is the first test. Look up the T1 in the static exciter. I think its item #29. What is the NSN and part number?

Now, on your pictures of transformers there was part numbers. T1 had the # 30554-72-2609 stamped on it. It is, and isn't, the part number. The first part, 30554 is called Manufactures Code, (MFR code, also known as a CAGE). Every company that supplies parts the the militarily, has a CAGE code. But that's a misnomer. Its may not be the manufacture, it my just be the Supplier. In this case, 30554 is the code for MEP, (Mobile Electric Power) a government organization. When you want to know who supplied the part, google CAGE code ***** and it will come up. Sometimes that the manufacturer, and sometimes just the supplier.

The second part, 72-2609 is the part number used by the supplier. If you looked close, you saw that the T1 has TWO part numbers, and two suppliers. In fact, there are about 10 suppliers and 10 different part numbers. Often, when you type in one number to search for, you get leads to other part numbers also.

When searching, never forget to also search for the NSN, (National Stock Number). This number is for the part meant to go in the set. There is only one NSN for 99.99% of the parts in the supply system, but there can be 10-20 part numbers. I always look for the NSN first, then the part number.

I could go on and on. But I am sure you don't want to hear it all.
You sir, are an encyclopedia!
Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks