• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP004a Voltage Regulator

reiters

So I am trying to move to a full replacement of the Flash/AVR for my 004. I ended up buying a non-compatible flash module to go with my AVR. Exciter is 120v/240v and VR is 240v only. The instructions I am using guide me to a 120v point for output voltage detection. In this setup the exciter starts the votage rise and then the VR takes over but because it expects 240v and getting 120v so it thinks it needs to keep boosting and shuts the unit down from overvoltage. What I'd like to find is a 240v test point for both to use as a voltage sample. Since my genset won't produce power in current state I don't have a good way of finding a 240v point. BTW I converted my unit to 240v single phase from 208v 3 phase and ran it years on sx460 but they burn out every years or so becuase its not really the right choice. I want something more reliable. I'm not scared of electric (although I respect it).

Can someone with a running unit or better reading skills than myself either look in the book for a "208v" test point or put a meter in their own 004 to find ma a 240v test point. It has to be when the output relay hasn't been energized.

What I can do is buy a 2:1 transformer for $10 and step the voltage up but that seems a bit silly and one more thing to go wrong when I am sure there is a source I can use in the box.

Exciter: AFM500
Regulator: EA05A

Last edited:

reiters

I have no idea. If I try to run it with the setup I have it overvolts and shuts down so I can't put a meter on things. I was hoping someone has one converted to 240v and could tell me a good point to use.

reiters

So I just went out to take a look at the genset. The reconnection board is connected directly to the output relay and the output relay is directly connected to the output terminals. I assumed it would be more "hidden" but hadnt looked myself. I think I can just connect to L1-L3 of the input side of the output relay. Simple enough. I will try to get it all done this weekend. Maybe if it works well enough I will do a writeup with product names and models for others. It cost me roughly $200 to completely replace the flash/avr box with modern equipment. No wires cut. No longer EMP proof but if that is an issue then just kill me.

reiters

SUCCESS! I rewired it tonight and gave it a quick test run. It worked PERFECT! Better than I expected. While I help it in start mode to bring up oil pressure it slow started the voltage and brought it up to 120. Once I release starter it floated up to 240v over the next 2 seconds. Nice and stable. It also didn't bounce wildly when I turned the unit off. Just a soft drop to zero.

I had to leave right after initial test so I will test in the morning. I may need to tweak the set voltage etc but very happy so far.

reiters

I thought I would put up a video of the flash/avr doing its job. If anyone sees any red flags on what is working/not working please let me know. I rough set the voltage to 240v with fine adjust in the middle. That lets me adjust from 230v to 250v on the dash panel. I call this a win.

Be kind with my video skills. I never shoot video and its a new phone so no clue what im doing.

Here is a pic of the setup. Ignore the wire colors. It's just scrap wire I had laying around. I will go back and cable tie everything later. No original wires were cut in the making of the setup.
image0.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks