• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP004a

SMS

Hello, I have a MEP004a generator and would like to know details about it's overcurrent protection. My questions are: Does this generator have adequate built in overcurrent protection capable of protecting its components from damage in the event of a fault or if the connected load increases above its output capabilities? If so, can you tell me the maximum load it will supply without tripping? I know it's rated for 15KW but I have seen information about these where they run them above 100% of the 15KW rated output. I currently have mine set up for 208/120 volt output and run it at 60 hertz. If my math is correct 15KW at 208/120 volts 3 phase equals 52 amps. Will it trip at 52 amps or will it allow a certain amount of overload? Thanks in advance for your help!

dk8019

If it's like my MEP002A, then there's an outfeed breaker that is designed to protect the unit. Does your's have a three pole breaker?

SMS

No, mine doesn't have a 3 pole breaker. Are the CTs used to sense output current and trip the output contactor in an overload condition?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It will allow a good amount of overload. Even with battle short off. I didnt realize I was significantly over current and cooked a stator on one. The safety never tripped.

Guyfang

Staff member
If that happened, then something was wrong with the overload protection relay. The official rated load for the MEP_804A is 52.8 Amps. Yes you can go a bit higher. But normally the overload/short circuit relay should protect you gen set. Your set has a 3 pole breaker, K1. All TQG gen sets have a 3 pole breaker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks