• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep004a

oldMan99

Quick question. I am looking at a MEP004A.

This is the electrical description: "120-480Vac/3Ph/50/60Hz"

The question is can/does this unit put out single phase as well as 3 phase or are these 3 phase only?

If they are 3 phase only, is there an external transformer or converter of some kind to make it single phase? If there is such an animal, any recommendations on where to find this thing and about what it will cost?

Anybody happen to have an electronic copy of the manual for this animal?

Thanks in advance!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Old Man!
They are 3 phase only. My boss bought one for her farm. I just wired up her farm so that the house took 2 of the phases, and the barn took the other phase when she went to the generator (manual cut offs from the utility.)

There are 3 phase to single phase motor generators, but they are $$$$. Also, doing that you will loose the rated output of the generator, you would no longer be able to get the full 15kw due to the losses in the converter.

I have electronic copies of all the manuals, I can email them to you from work.

PeterD

You have three choices. In order of ease in implementing:

1. Use two phases, and derate to 10 KW. Many do this, and despite what some say, it won't harm the generator set.

2. Wire your transfer switch to make it work with three phases. This requires a special transfer switch. I've seen them in Home Depot, it has six switches, breakers, to control six circuits. What you do is this. When you get it it is wired with three circuits on each of the two hot lines in. You rewire it to have two circuits on each of the three phases. You need to replace the plug/cord however. Total time to modify this box is about 30 minutes. This is the setup I have here, and that lets me draw from all three phases on the generator, and feed the same circuits from the main pane when on the grid. You can then get full rated output from the generator (though the transfer panel is only rated at 7.5 KW, so you'd need two of them to do so (which would give you 12 circuits, not so bad after all!)

3. You can rewire the generator head for single phase. There are several threads here, on Smokestak, and on the web on how to basically do this. You loose flexibility on the meters and it does take a lot of rewiring, not something that you can change back and forth.

oldMan99

Thanks guys!

It sounds like I would probably be better off waiting for one that is single phase.

I see a MEP-002A that is 1/3 phase (I assume that is switchable?) but it is only 5kw.

I would like to find one that is at 7.5 to 15kw. Don't really need anymore than that. Would just be wasting diesel after that. Is there a 7.5 to 15kw unit that outputs single phase? Know the name/number of it?

Thanks again!!

davidkroberts

mep-003a is a 10kw diesel unit that is almost the same unit as the mep-002 even uses the same filters. Side by side they are identical. They operate from single or three phase and are pretty common.

oldMan99

mep-003a is a 10kw diesel unit that is almost the same unit as the mep-002 even uses the same filters. Side by side they are identical. They operate from single or three phase and are pretty common.
You know, I noticed that the first one I asked about was a "004" and it was "to big" (tom many phases).

The next one was a "002" and it was "To small" (not enough KW's).

I almost asked if there was a "003" that might be "just right" but I figured, no way, that would just make way to much sense for our government.... lol.

It sounds like the 003 is in fact the one I need! Time to fire up the dreaded search engine I guess!

Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate it!!

oldMan99

Forgot to ask... what sort of price range do the MEP-003's usually go for?

I found 3 coming up but they are mounted on laundry trailers. Not sure what I would do with the laundry equipment but the trailer (once cleared off) might come in handy. Anybody happen to know anything about the trailer? (Size, empty weight, max capacity)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Empty the trailer is like 5klbs. She is a heavy one. I think its a m1061 if ya want to do some searching.

oldMan99

OK, looks like the MEP-003 is what I'm looking for.

Does anybody have some manuals for these in electronic form they can send me so I can read up on them?

In the mean time, a couple questions:

Fuel usage at idle or 50% or whatever they list it as?

I have seen a trailer that has 2 of these mounted on it. When mounted like that do they wire them both together to get double the output or is one a back up for the other... or selectable as either/both?

I did see one where there was a close up picture of a plug labeled as "Slave Receptacle" I assume this has to do with hooking 2 of them up on the above trailer?

How difficult is it to separate them to use individually?

How noisy are these units compared to the average gen?

Water or air cooled?

Engine operating RPM?

I saw one in a sound enclosure. Are those available separately?

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

ichudov

1) See my manuals for MEP-003A at

Military Generators ==> MEP 003A

Feel free to download, print, share, and republish.

2) Slave receptacle is a way to jump start military equipment from a running vehicle. Think of it as a military jumper cable.

3) Not hard to separate

4) They are as noisy as other generators, maybe a bit noisier

5) Air cooled IIRC, but see manuals

6) 1800 RPM

7) You can build your own enclosure.

oldMan99

1) See my manuals for MEP-003A at

Military Generators ==> MEP 003A

Feel free to download, print, share, and republish.

2) Slave receptacle is a way to jump start military equipment from a running vehicle. Think of it as a military jumper cable.

3) Not hard to separate

4) They are as noisy as other generators, maybe a bit noisier

5) Air cooled IIRC, but see manuals

6) 1800 RPM

7) You can build your own enclosure.

Outstanding! Thanks! Thanks very much!! Going for the manuals now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks