• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep005 alternator questions

Knjs

Ok first time long time. I got a mep005 at auction. Got it home stuck some batteries in it and all is good except the alternator wasnt charging. So no big deal went to ebay got a new one a week later and installed it. The new one will charge for a few sec when started and then drops in the red on the meter. Over a 5 min period it would charge 3 maybe 4 times only for a few seconds at a time. Is this normal or should I see about exchanging alternators.

Scoobyshep

Dont trust the charging ammeter. My 004 gives inconsistent readings but it charges. Use a digital volt meter, check the battery voltage then check it while running. Battery should be approx 24 vdc. Running will end up somewhere around 25 to 28 vdc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Knjs

Dont trust the charging ammeter. My 004 gives inconsistent readings but it charges. Use a digital volt meter, check the battery voltage then check it while running. Battery should be approx 24 vdc. Running will end up somewhere around 25 to 28 vdc.

I did check it with a voltmeter and it just reads the batteries when the ammeter is in the red and If I pull the cables it will stall when it does this.

Knjs

I did check it with a voltmeter and it just reads the batteries when the ammeter is in the red and If I pull the cables it will stall when it does this.
I guess I'm trying to figure out if it has something that stops it from charging if it doesn't need to charge the batteries.

Scoobyshep

Look at your dc circuit breaker. One terminal should have 2 wires the other should have 1. The single is the load. The other 2 one is battery the other is alternator make sure they are all connected. (Ive come across a few disconnected for some dumb reason). First time i dropped 100$ on an alternator just because some jackleg disconnected it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok first time long time. I got a mep005 at auction. Got it home stuck some batteries in it and all is good except the alternator wasnt charging. So no big deal went to ebay got a new one a week later and installed it. The new one will charge for a few sec when started and then drops in the red on the meter. Over a 5 min period it would charge 3 maybe 4 times only for a few seconds at a time. Is this normal or should I see about exchanging alternators.

Did you get the right alternator? There are some that LOOK like the right one, but are not.

Normally, the alternator will charge battery's on start up, and then the meter will go down, close to mid range. Meaning the alternator is NOT charging the battery's. When the battery's are full. The regulator built inside the alternator takes care of this function.

Your systems sound like the alternator is not corectly working, os is an impropper alternator. In any case, the original symptoms were no charging, and when you put another alternator on it, it still will not work right. Going into the red means its discharging. I would say your alternator needs looking at.

Knjs

Did you get the right alternator? There are some that LOOK like the right one, but are not.

Normally, the alternator will charge battery's on start up, and then the meter will go down, close to mid range. Meaning the alternator is NOT charging the battery's. When the battery's are full. The regulator built inside the alternator takes care of this function.

Your systems sound like the alternator is not corectly working, os is an impropper alternator. In any case, the original symptoms were no charging, and when you put another alternator on it, it still will not work right. Going into the red means its discharging. I would say your alternator needs looking at.

It looks and I bought the right part number but I'm not sure what I got. I contacted the seller and he said send it back so he can test it. Just worried he'll test it for 3 sec n say it's good n not send me a different one.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you look in the -24P, you will notice that there are two different alternators listed.
1. NSN 2920-01-013-5802, part# ANJ001
2. NSN 2920-01-208-0805, Part# 70D43103S01

The second number is the same as what your picture shows, so its the right alternator, but sounds like its not working right.

This is the complete list of NSN's that will fit.
2920-01-208-0804
2920-01-208-0805
2920-00-118-1222
2920-00-013-5802

This alternator fits any gen set from MEP-004A up to a MEP-006A. Might fit a 007A, but I am too lazy to look.

Knjs

If you look in the -24P, you will notice that there are two different alternators listed.
1. NSN 2920-01-013-5802, part# ANJ001
2. NSN 2920-01-208-0805, Part# 70D43103S01

The second number is the same as what your picture shows, so its the right alternator, but sounds like its not working right.

This is the complete list of NSN's that will fit.
2920-01-208-0804
2920-01-208-0805
2920-00-118-1222
2920-00-013-5802

This alternator fits any gen set from MEP-004A up to a MEP-006A. Might fit a 007A, but I am too lazy to look.
Well this one is mep005. The guy was really nice let me exchange it . From what I gather it charges really high to recover the batteries for 30-60 seconds then kicks down and still charges but less amps. This one was kicking down to nothing.

Guyfang

Staff member
How much it charges after start, is determined by how low the battery's are. It can go up very high, and stay there, for a while, before coming back down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks