• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep005a code light?

Jasone

Hi guys I just got my mep005a running and the short circuit and overload light is on…. When I press the reset toggle it is still on…. My unit has been converted to single phase…. My percent rated current goes up to near 100 when running and the volts maybe goes up to 5 or so.. nothing on the hertz. Is there anyone out there that will point me in the right direction with these code lights on or do I need to learn how to read the manuals for trouble shooting. Thanks Jason

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some questions to help us understand the problem better.

Did the unit ever run correctly before the single phase conversion?
Did it ever run correctly after the conversion?
Is the engine laboring, like it's under full load?
Does the current go up immediately, or only when the contactor is closed?

There is a real risk that something got shorted out in the wiring during the conversion.

Use the diagrams in the back of the manual. Check all the wiring for potential "wired shorts". The fact you are getting 100% current and only 5 volts could be a serious, bolted fault, which could let the smoke out of the genrator.

Jasone

Some questions to help us understand the problem better.

Did the unit ever run correctly before the single phase conversion?
Did it ever run correctly after the conversion?
Is the engine laboring, like it's under full load?
Does the current go up immediately, or only when the contactor is closed?

There is a real risk that something got shorted out in the wiring during the conversion.

Use the diagrams in the back of the manual. Check all the wiring for potential "wired shorts". The fact you are getting 100% current and only 5 volts could be a serious, bolted fault, which could let the smoke out of the genrator.
I don’t know if it ran correctly because I bought it not running and no history..
I was told the previous owner did the conversion and I just went through the single phase conversion wiring to see if it was done correctly. And it is done right…
The engine does not labor at all….
The current does goes up right away.
It does not matter what I do with the circuit breaker toggle… the current stays the same

Guyfang

Staff member
Start the gen set. Is there any voltage at the 120 volt outlets? If you have no voltage there, then the gen set is not making voltage. There should always be voltage there.

Jasone

Start the gen set. Is there any voltage at the 120 volt outlets? If you have no voltage there, then the gen set is not making voltage. There should always be voltage there.
Are you saying the 110 outlet will make power even if there is the short circuit and overload light on?

Jasone

Are you saying the 110 outlet will make power even if there is the short circuit and overload light on?
Well It might be done for…. As I was testing the 120 outlet I flipped the circuit breaker close toggle and smoke started coming out of the front of the gen…. Smelled burnt and full of bad news

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, it could have been a bad fault indicator, that's one possibility. But since you saw/smelled smoke, that's not it. For that matter, could have been a number of things. So lets see what we can see. Where did the smoke/burning smell come from? Main Gen, or maybe the static exciter? Find what smoked, then take a picture of it, and post here. Down load all the TM's. You will need them to troubleshoot.

Jasone

Well, it could have been a bad fault indicator, that's one possibility. But since you saw/smelled smoke, that's not it. For that matter, could have been a number of things. So lets see what we can see. Where did the smoke/burning smell come from? Main Gen, or maybe the static exciter? Find what smoked, then take a picture of it, and post here. Down load all the TM's. You will need them to troubleshoot.
It comes from the front of the main generator

Attachments

rickf

That is where the magic smoke used to live. I am not an expert on these but that is not deep enough to be into the windings and I see a diode so there may still be hope.

2Pbfeet

@Jasone The lacing on one of the stator(?) windings looks like it has either been nibbled on or burned off in photo #1. It is hard to tell from the resolution of the photograph, but the varnish also looks a bit off. I could easily be wrong.

I hope that all the magic smoke didn't get out.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

rickf

That looks very much like the main gen winding's.
Have you downloaded the TM's?
Are you able to use a multi meter?
Better pictures would shed more light on the damage.
Goes to show how much I know about generators!!! That would have to be a serious short somewhere wouldn't it? Like obvious type short.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks