• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP005A frequency meter not working.

Guyfang

Staff member
Do NOT remove the safety wire. It is timed.

No, if you take the C-Plug off, the set will not start.

Did you reset the switch on the S9, and then try and start it?

To get the set to start, with the C-P disconnected, you take a paper clip and bend it straight, then bend it in a U shape. Stick it in the C-Plug on pins A&B. The engine will turn over. But will not start and run. To get it to start and run, You need to have a jumper to A&B and C, I think. I am not at my normal computer, so can not look at the -§$ TM. But the test procedure is in there.

I would still jump the TB-101 before fooling with the S9.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still won't stay running when I install the jumpers I leave the wires connected as well?
Great, that takes the speed switch out off the picture. @Guyfang we had two 005’s on which the speed switch would work for 1 to 2 seconds and then the switch would drop out, not letting the Genset run.
This test is much easier then the jumper test in the special relay box

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No go on the batery test.
ok, gauge is defective. If you possess watchmaker skills then you can check the coil resistance and if you get like 500 Ohm then you can take the gauge apart and clean the two diamond bearings of the dial assembly.

If you don’t have watchmaker skills or the coil is burnt out, then the gauge can go straight into trash bin or you could set it on your coffee end table as conversational piece.

yohanusmarcus

View attachment 917936

Open the Special Relay box. Jump with a wire, between TB 101-1 to TB 101-9
Then start the set normally. Will it stay running?

Do that, then put the boxes back in the set. No need to bolt them down. Start the set, normally and let S2 go. will the set still run? Dont worry about AC voltage. If the set runs, then you know the problem is one of the safeties. Or K2 or K8. Your A5 card looks like its been hot. Its suspect. If the set will not run with the jumper wire, THEN try the S9, (speed switch). Have you pushed the reset button on the S9?
Ok will do this first thing in the morning.

Guyfang

Staff member
Great, that takes the speed switch out off the picture. @Guyfang we had two 005’s on which the speed switch would work for 1 to 2 seconds and then the switch would drop out, not letting the Genset run.
This test is much easier then the jumper test in the special relay box
This is because the S9-1 contacts are not being made between the A-B contacts opening, and kicking out the starter, (at the right RPM) and the A-C contacts closing.

yohanusmarcus

Ok I'll take the relay box back out install the jumper and hook it all back up and let you know what happens
Installed the jumper TB101-1 to TB101-9. Started machine, it stays running without battle short on. What does this tell us and where do we go from here? I also had to pull the DC circuit breaker to turn it off.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 917936

Open the Special Relay box. Jump with a wire, between TB 101-1 to TB 101-9
Then start the set normally. Will it stay running?

Do that, then put the boxes back in the set. No need to bolt them down. Start the set, normally and let S2 go. will the set still run? Dont worry about AC voltage. If the set runs, then you know the problem is one of the safeties. Or K2 or K8. Your A5 card looks like its been hot. Its suspect. If the set will not run with the jumper wire, THEN try the S9, (speed switch). Have you pushed the reset button on the S9?
You basically have to check this row now in @Guyfang picture from left to right
The contacts on the Relay K2 and K8, oil pressure switch and coolant temperature switch as well as all the connections J/P as indicated for continuity, meaning less then 1 ohm total resistance from left to right

Guyfang

Staff member
View attachment 917936
Start here:

1. Remove the jumpwer wire between TB101-3 to TB101-9

2. Oil pressure switch. Take the plug off. Insert a paper clip in pins A&D.
Start the set, and see if the set runs after you let go of S2.

If it runs, you need a oil pressure switch.

If it stops:
3. Hook the oil pressure switch back up.
4. Unhook the Water Temp switch. Insert a paper clip in pins A&D.
5. Start the set, and see if it runs after you let S2 go.

If it runs, you need a Water temp switch.

If it stops, you need to check the A5 card for K8 working correctly.

Turn to page 5-26. in the -34 TM. Read from paragraph #16 to page 5-28, paragraph #19. Its not all that hard. If the board is bad, Member @kloppk makes a replacement board that is nuke proof.

yohanusmarcus

Well I will have to find a 120vdc source for one of the tests. I'll figure something out. Unless that's a typo and it's supposed to be 120vac. Will get the first tests done and get back to you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks