• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP006 Not generating power

crazycanuk

I am new here but based on the details I have read, this is the place for me to ask for help. I have an MEP006 with an ALLIS Chalmers 6 cyl diesel. I purchased this at auction and when I got it home after I was "promised" it only needed battery and fuel, well I discovered some issues. I fixed everything and now have the engine running but I have no electrical output to the panel gauges for output etc. I do have power to the voltage gauges if I hold the stop/run/start button on. I can move the power dial and the voltage does move, not on anything that make sense but it does report. I also noticed that the 110/120 2 plug 15 amp breaker trips when I hold the start button on. The exiter box has no cover on it so I am guessing somebody messed with that or broke something. Anyone here know what to look for as that voltage regulator/exiter box may be the issue but before I "replace" it with another one I was curios what I should look for to potentially isolate the issue and maybe fix it. I would hate to put in a "new" box to have it fry again from another issue.

If this is the incorrect forum, my apology.

Thanks in advance.

George

DrillerSurplus

There are a few TM for gensets in Technical Manuals link in main menu bar at top of page. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?103688-MEP-806a-and-816a & http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77624-TM-s-for-Generators

The TM-9-6115-645-24 has pretty extensive trouble shooting guidance.

I have a similar problem with a MEP806A, but fixing it keeps getting bumped down the priority list. I haven't looked much, but don't know of a source for parts. If anyone does, I would sure like to hear from them.
GL recently sold a few complete panels for the 60 kw that included the exciter, but they went for more than I paid for the genset.

crazycanuk

Okay, quick update. I now have the engine running completely. It appears 24 v DC is functioning. No panel activity on generator unless I hold the start stop run button on start. Then the HZ flickers and steadies at about 54 and the AC voltage steadies at about 200 volts. The 120 volt outlets pop the 15 amp fuse when I push the start and hold it. Strange. Anyone else have any ideas? I traced wires till I was blue in the fact today and good news, so far everything checks out. Anyone with a guess is welcome to give me advice. I am at a loss right now. Will continue to do it the hard way until I can get it fixed. Thanks again to all who have given advice.

seek

I do not have your generator. Reading your post a few times and the fact you have checked your wiring have you checked the switch? I do not even know how to tell you how to do that but I did notice you did not say you checked that switch. Wish I had more.

crazycanuk

Quick update to all that have been helping. First off thank you, this board is great and I hope to be able to return the help!

1) Narrowed initial no power to bad voltage regulator. Talked to a number of you including William and it does appear that voltage regulator was part of the issue as replacement does allow generation of electricity off generator.
2) New issue.Initial start okay, open throttle, voltage on panel is good, HZ is not good but functioning. All of sudden the unit powers down almost to a stop, kicks on again and no power output. It appears a short or something is cycling because if I restart engine. System generates power before going into this cycle. Does not matter if I push up start run stop it still stalls.

Okay guru's! Any thoughts. My fear is something else has now fried the voltage regulator. I am trying read schematics to trace and see if there is some type of relay tripping due to a short , over/under voltage. But for some reason, I just don't see it.

As always thanks to this group!. It was great to see this beast actually outputting voltage. Now, if we can just make it really work, I won't take the flack from the family for buying a large steel paperweight!

George

crazycanuk

Okay, rebuilt the voltage regulator. System generates power as I said. Will hook up and see how it powers pole barn and future house.
The surging appears to be bad fuel. I changed filters that were clogged, runs fine. Checked filters again and the primary is gunked again. I did flush out tank, must have been some residual. So, thanks to everyone.

Final thoughts. The 110 volt (two) outlets don't work. Origionaly tripped breaker each time powered up, now no power. Period after I rebuilt the voltage regulator. I will trace it down later.

Anyone have experience wiring this beast into an off grid home? I have my ideas and having worked with an electrical contractor years ago, my thoughts I am sure are not clear.

Thanks,

crazycanuk

Chris:
Thinking of leaving it 3 phase and then do a step down transformer/converter. I really hate to monkey with original gear although from what I have read ( very little) the mod is something that can be done and if I don't like it, later remove. What are your thoughts?

I know price on the step down may be steep, but it would also "clean" the power for the off grid home I am building and I could use the 3 phase in the pole barn for some equipment I am running from metal working to air compressors.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your house hasn't be built yet you may find it cheaper to wire it 3-phase than doing a transformer of the output of the generator. Installing a 3-phase panel is pretty much the only difference. You would wire your 120v and 208v circuits just the same. Most 240v appliances will run fine on 208v.

The military generators are already clean power sources. You shouldn't need anything to clean them up more.

Converting to single phase isn't that hard. I've not personally done one but I have read up on it a good bit and from my experience repairing them it wouldn't be hard to do and as you say is completely reversible.

Are you planning a hybrid system combining the generator with solar?

crazycanuk

Chris. Yes, it is a hybrid. It has wind and solar. We are using this generator for the large pole barn equipment and then the house. We are in the build phase and I still might do the 3 phase electric. Working on the solar inverter and if it will output 3 phase, we are golden.

Thanks for the input. The beast will need to hit a load bank every now and then, but it should not run much except in real emergency or if I am running the heavy equipment. Your ideas are good.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Xantrex line of inverters can be configured 3-phase. That option will be a little more expensive since you have to buy 3 instead of 2.

Keep us posted on your build. I for one am very interested in knowing how it goes.

crazycanuk

The Xantrex line of inverters can be configured 3-phase. That option will be a little more expensive since you have to buy 3 instead of 2.

Keep us posted on your build. I for one am very interested in knowing how it goes.

No issue. Will keep you up to date. Inverter was going to be XW+ 5548 Power System from Schneider Electric.

I have not had time to dig,but at one point I remember it could handle 3 phase, just don't remember the cost or configuration. I am also concerned about additional battery storage needed.

Lots to think about but backup generator appears not to be an issue now. The beast appears to be ready. Will wire it into a 3 phase panel hopefully this weekend in the pole barn.

Thanks again

George

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the same inverter that I'm considering. I'm looking at doing a hybrid with a MEP831a as a booster/battery charger. North Carolina is dropping its solar tax credits at the end of the year. :( I'm putting in solar water heating now and over time will build a solar electric system.

That inverter will do 3-phase but you have to put them in 120v mode and buy 3 of them. If you only need the 5kw of a single unit you can do 120v/240v with just one. If you need 10kw of inverter power you would buy 2 and bond them together. I would expect if you are using a MEP006 that your house may use a good bit of power.

Anyway, No doubt you will figure out the best route to go. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure!

crazycanuk

MEP006 bit much for house

Thats the same inverter that I'm considering. I'm looking at doing a hybrid with a MEP831a as a booster/battery charger. North Carolina is dropping its solar tax credits at the end of the year. :( I'm putting in solar water heating now and over time will build a solar electric system.

That inverter will do 3-phase but you have to put them in 120v mode and buy 3 of them. If you only need the 5kw of a single unit you can do 120v/240v with just one. If you need 10kw of inverter power you would buy 2 and bond them together. I would expect if you are using a MEP006 that your house may use a good bit of power.

Anyway, No doubt you will figure out the best route to go. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure!

That is what I remembered. So we may run 3 phase to Pole Barn and then sub panel house off that. I will have to noodle that out this weekend. The house won't require much and the MEP006 was way overkill, but price was right. Yes, I had to fiddle with it to make it 100 percent but that is the risk when you buy at auction and it is 42 years old. Runs great, output is good. Stil cheaper than 20K for a 30K unit.

House is a log cabin kit and I have no choice of grid as the local power wants 220K to pull in power to the remote property. On 80 acres of former Christmas tree and hardwood farm. Making it a working farm and nursery. Need a lot of juice for some of the equipment I have to support from welders, air compressors etc. Cost of enough solar and battery did not make sense. This generator should only be a backup for house if wind, solar are not working/maintenance or due to weather etc., batteries go down. Also, when working the heavy machinery it will work on powering everything, but it is a beast and I expect it will not have to work too hard.

It is an adventure! Will keep you up on all this as I can. Thanks for the good words and encouragement.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to consider adding a MEP831a to the mix. That inverter will load share and automatically run the generator to charge batteries or boost the inverter output. That is my plan at least.

crazycanuk

Thanks to everyone. I was offline due to work and some family issues with elder parent, but I wanted to thank everyone again for the help. Generator is running now with no issues except 110 outlets on the unit itself and an inoperable HZ adjustment. I will will work on those over the next few weeks. Mainly a fuel issue towards the end. I finally manually flushed 50 gallon tank and changed, cleaned ALL filters. Now starts every time and even in the minus degrees this winter, I small shot of ether and it started up right away. I amgoing to have to purchase the either option as it was stripped when I bought the unit at auction. The panel has switch, but when fixing the issues I found it was stripped out.

But, again, thanks to everyone.

DieselAddict, I have it set up to run 3 Phase to a 3Phase panel in pole barn and then made the solar etc. house a "sub" to that panel. Appears to work well and with the autostart from an MEP831a or a third party on the MEP006. We are ready to run!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks