• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP1040 and Remote start questions

aFloridaMan

To make a long story short:
It depends on the wiring harness installed in the AMMPS, primarily Plug 3 and which Firmware the ECS is running

There are several versions out in the field now and they are all quite different

It further depends on which board with the DIP switches is installed as these boards vary between the different KW Capacity

View attachment 906554

View attachment 906557

and for the 1030, 1040 and 1050

View attachment 906558

Now you can go and tinker around

As they say, your mileage will vary depending on which Firmware is installed

Note:
Firmware releases are Classified
Excellent post. Best info I've seen thus far. Thanks.

As you atutely pointed out, the K and L pins are reserved for CAN. Let's we what happens :)

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent post. Best info I've seen thus far. Thanks.

As you atutely pointed out, the K and L pins are reserved for CAN. Let's we what happens :)
Like I said, will depend on the installed Firmware (which either supports CAN or not) and then the A2 board with the 4 bit DIP Switch encoder

R1ckyb0nd

Hey guys, I wanted to refresh this thread. It is indeed possible to control the MEP/AMMPS units via commands sent over a CAN bus link. A gentleman has acquired the list of Cummins commands (PGN's) that will provide all of the commands needed to operate the generator fully remote. The benefit of this approach is that there is no rewiring or placing custom wiring harnesses in series with the existing control circuits. Said another way, this approach uses some software, basic / cheap hardware, and the Cummins-native CAN commands to execute all of the features that are native to the machine-internal controller / control screen.

Thus far, I've acquired a CAN-to-USB adapter and the code / codes from the aforementioned gentleman. Now I need to consolidate and wire this bad boy up and start "poking at it" electronically. I will document my progress and share freely, to help everyone out.

For those of you who are adventurous and want to come along with me, here's the wiring diagram for that mil-spec 7-pin connector on the control panel of the MEPs units. This is a screen cap from the Cummins documents (don't ask how I saw that, it's TSCI ;-) ):

View attachment 904687

I've seen some poor quality information in this thread, so I'm going to inject some comments (here and in the future). Not meant to offend anyone, but I want to share good data with our brothers and sisters, so they don't get frustrated: CAN and RS-485 have only one thing "electronically in common" (for those that care: differential signaling) but they are EXTREMELY different. Don't try to interchange hardware. The voltage levels will not be appreciated.
Have you been able to get any Can-bus data from the generator yet? Very interested being able to get Can-bus data off the generator

R1ckyb0nd

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CD I received was intact. The only note on the CD was that it was to "Remain with the generator set".
No notes on the CD holder.

Here is a screenshot of the PC Remote screen with a loads on L1 & L2 (120/240 mode)
Remote 120-240 with heaters.PNG

Last edited:

R1ckyb0nd

The software will only load on a Windows 7 PC. The install stops if it detects something else such as Windows 11.
I ended up buying a refurbished Win7 PC off eBay for less than $100 to load it on.

The CD I received was intact. The only note on the CD was that it was to "Remain with the generator set".
No notes on the CD holder.

Here is a screenshot of the PC Remote screen with a loads on L1 & L2 (120/240 mode)
View attachment 911197
This is great thank you

R1ckyb0nd

After reading a bunch of these posts and other documentation it seems like there are possibly two ways to get data from these generators. The front remote port and tapping into the J1939 canbus.
I know the front remote port is rs485, but is it in modbus rtu format or canbus?
When tapping into the j1939 canbus are you tapping the wires on the cannon plug? Does this add to the devices on tge canbus and do you need to add the resistor to terminate it?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A while back I did some monitoring of the data flow between my Win7 PC running the Remote Monitoring and my 1030.
What I found was that once the PC and 1030 did their link up handshaking the data flow was fairly simple.
It's all done with Ascii characters over the PC's RS-232 serial port.
Once a second the PC sends out 44 different requests for data and the 1030 responds to each of the 44 requests individually as they come in.
For example, to request the Fuel Level the PC send out 93 2 28 28 91 and the DCS responds with 93 2 FB 2 68 in response for my fuel level.
Each request and response begin with 93. The next byte is the number of subsequent bytes being sent minus 1.
Requests for data vary from 2 to 5 bytes and replies from the 1030 vary from 2 to 5 bytes (excluding the 93 and byte count byte)

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A while back I did some monitoring of the data flow between my Win7 PC running the Remote Monitoring and my 1030.
What I found was that once the PC and 1030 did their link up handshaking the data flow was fairly simple.
It's all done with Ascii characters over the PC's RS-232 serial port.
Once a second the PC sends out 44 different requests for data and the 1030 responds to each of the 44 requests individually as they come in.
For example, to request the Fuel Level the PC send out 93 2 28 28 91 and the DCS responds with 93 2 FB 2 68 in response for my fuel level.
Each request and response begin with 93. The next byte is the number of subsequent bytes being sent minus 1.
Requests for data vary from 2 to 5 bytes and replies from the 1030 vary from 2 to 5 bytes (excluding the 93 and byte count byte)
Is there anywhere to download this software or has anyone uploaded the iso of the cd anywhere?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your set included the "LOCAL CABLE" part number 30554-04-21227 you can use it to do the Remote Monitoring. The RS-232 to RS-485 adapter gets connected to the connector labeled "P2-MAIN". It looks like this with the RS232 to RS485 adapter on it.
Remote Monitor Cable.jpg

If you're missing the cable it's wired like this. The cable contains 4 twisted pairs, C&D, E&L, H&G, F&N and a shield.
For the Remote monitoring you can get away with just the top 4 red wires.
Remote Monitor Cable Wiring.jpg

If you're missing the RS-232 to RS485 there is one on Amazon that works. It worked good and was using 100' of CAT5 cable.
It's only about $11 instead of $125 for the one normally supplied with the cable. Only minor hitch is the pinout is slightly different. ---> Amazon RS-232 to RS-485

Original adapter schematic
RS-232 to RS-485 Adapter That Came with DCS.jpg

Pinout of Amazon adapter.
RS-232 to RS-485 Adapter From Amazon.jpg

Last edited:

R1ckyb0nd

To make a long story short:
It depends on the wiring harness installed in the AMMPS, primarily Plug 3 and which Firmware the ECS is running

There are several versions out in the field now and they are all quite different

It further depends on which board with the DIP switches is installed as these boards vary between the different KW Capacity

View attachment 906554

View attachment 906557

and for the 1030, 1040 and 1050

View attachment 906558

Now you can go and tinker around

As they say, your mileage will vary depending on which Firmware is installed

Note:
Firmware releases are Classified
@peapvp have you been able to get j1939 bus data off the diagnostic port /P110?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Ricky,

I am about ready to lock this thread. You are working this problem in two different threads. It is a No-no in the forum. STOP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks