• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP531A just got one

rustystud

This set will run soooooooooooooooooooooooo nice when you get her fixed up. Quite. So nice and quite.

If it runs rough, or under load, it "stutters" a bit, or surges a bit, look for air in the fuel lines leading up to the fuel pump.

Nice set, good buy.
I totally agree Guyfang. These Yanmar engines are really one of the best kept secrets in the small diesel engine world. They are little marvels in my opinion ! No wonder the military used them so much.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking for a place to source a petcock and through for a return line for the fuel tank
Petcock is on fleabay. What do you mean by through exactly? The rubber bushing on the tank to connect the fuel return line? If so I have some.

Also got mine running today and the only thing better than the quick start is her purring nicely. I will load test it tomorrow and break it in some. 3.1 hr on the clock.

87Nassaublue

I totally agree Guyfang. These Yanmar engines are really one of the best kept secrets in the small diesel engine world. They are little marvels in my opinion ! No wonder the military used them so much.
I have seen some sail boats that have these engines. When I was recently in upstate New York, I saw a state service boat with one in it. I've been very impressed with my little yanmar. It's a keeper.

odjoe

Will be going to flee Bay to get Petcock have to get fuel line ,thank you all for your input
Can't wait to get this thing running
had to install a rivnut to hold the fuel tank in place

odjoe

yes the rubber bushing for the return line ..i'll buy 1 from you i can;t find one
Petcock is on fleabay. What do you mean by through exactly? The rubber bushing on the tank to connect the fuel return line? If so I have some.

Also got mine running today and the only thing better than the quick start is her purring nicely. I will load test it tomorrow and break it in some. 3.1 hr on the clock.

Guyfang

Staff member
The wire tie, that holds the fuel line to the injector pump is there as an TACOM approved "field fix". The fuel system on this gen set is the only problem I have with the 2 KW. It always, I mean always, has air in the lines. So to "correct" this fault, after hundreds of hours of study and experimentation, the fix is............................ a wire tie to hold the fuel line down below the fuel/water separator bowl. Your tax dollars at work. So maybe you need to pull the new hose down, or maybe shorten it a bit.

odjoe

she ran
blead the crap out of it ran her for like 5 min {neighbor haveing a BBQ} lot of black and white smoke at 1st then was running rough and surging with white smoke unburnt fuel?.,really did;nt have enough time to warm.. up i think.. will have more time tomorrow

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes the rubber bushing for the return line ..i'll buy 1 from you i can;t find one
I couldn't source them except through the distributor for Dewey. If you or anyone needs them they can get through me at cost as they have a minimum order amount ($$$) and I had no choice but to buy more than I needed. :doh:

odjoe

IMG_0044-L.jpg
this set up is not workin out its weeping out ..the hen of the house is not happy smelling diesel.
whats your set up ? needing some help on this one ...happy 4 th all:)

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
ODJOE,

My wife still misses the smell of diesel on my cloths, after 23 years retired from the army.

This sounds like a fuel problem to me. I would start with a compression test on the cylinder, and then look at the injector pump. Then see if the fuel lines from the fuel bowl to the injector pump are free of air bubbles, and then to the injector. This set is notorious for air in the fuel system. I assume you have the standard army fuel bowl? Have you read the trouble shooting procedures?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks