• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP802A Burnt Wires

fastbrass

I’ll put a new K8 in— hopefully that does the trick. I’m hoping there isn’t another issue that takes out the new K8. Maybe it all happened during the apparentt short to ground that melted the wires between S5 and K1.

Guyfang

Staff member
Now this is just me, an old nag. But take the time to look for loose wires, or places that might look like someone had un hooked stuff, to compare the wires with the schematic. Take off the top of the set, front and rear, and start looking. You get a better feel for your set, and you just might find other things that need your attention. Give S8 a real good look at. Also, take a gander at the canon plugs under the control cube. Are they tight? Clean? Wires still bundled up with wire ties? Look at K1. Wires tight? Correctly hooked up? Rats nest in amount everything else? You can spen a hour looking, to save hours working.

fastbrass

Good news so far, new K8 installed and the machine is working as it should, at least in that regard. Currently running 90% load with a 240v space heater and she's chugging along nicely. First time I've run it over 40% load... trying to give it a reasonable workout.

One (more) question. If I set Hz to 60 with 5500w heater on, when shut off, Hz jumps to about 62.5. Should the governor keep it steadier, or is a few Hz variation when going from zero to almost full load normal? Once set to 60Hz, under load, it's staying there just fine.

Thanks for the help figuring this out guys! Really exciting and fun to be running this under load now

mcii

From your 60hz loaded condition, to 62.5 NO load is normal or darn close, these sets don't have electronic governing, only mechanical, thus the cable and knob scheme your seeing and using. 2hz or 3 is not a big deal, don't go OCD on us here. You want 60hz all the time any condition, get out your $$$ it can be solved then..
You have done a really good job taking the tips and advice from the offers of help and suggestions and converting them into a solved condition. Best mac/mc

mcii

Most decent effort here GF cranking out this wire chart so quickly to help him out, good work. It'd take me all day to get this done then formatted. thanx .. mac/mc

jamawieb

Good news so far, new K8 installed and the machine is working as it should, at least in that regard. Currently running 90% load with a 240v space heater and she's chugging along nicely. First time I've run it over 40% load... trying to give it a reasonable workout.

One (more) question. If I set Hz to 60 with 5500w heater on, when shut off, Hz jumps to about 62.5. Should the governor keep it steadier, or is a few Hz variation when going from zero to almost full load normal? Once set to 60Hz, under load, it's staying there just fine.

Thanks for the help figuring this out guys! Really exciting and fun to be running this under load now
Great news!

The hertz droop is good. You can adjust the droop if you want, there is a plug in the front cover. Location is directly in line with the fuel cut off solenoid, and you'll have to look on the left side of the bottom radiator hose. Take the plug out and there is a 5mm allen wrench socket inside, turn it clockwise to decrease droop. Turn 1 full rotation and then test. Make sure you put the plug back in before starting. I start the sets at 61.5 and when they are fully loaded they read approximately 59.9

Guyfang

Staff member
Your looking good Fastbrass! The drop in freq is normal, like others have said. If you have a sensitive load, then follow Jamawieb's instructions. Most loads are not affected by the little bit of freq drop. But it might be interesting to see if you can improve it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks