• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep802a fuel issue

Bmxenbrett

Just got a mep802a primed its fuel system and started load testing/burning the wet stack off. Shut it down after half hr to add more load. Then it started running and shutting off. Running less and less until now it dosnt start. Fuel is at 1/4 tank and puckup is covered. I get fuel out of the canister filter but nothing at the hard lines on the side of the motor.
What am i missing here?
Dosnt puff smoke when cranking.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you check both filters? You have a large one and a small one. The small one is next to the hard line and a real pain to remove. Sounds like the small one is plugged.

Bmxenbrett

Im getting alot of fuel at the hard line out of the canister filter. I cracked the banjo bolt loose thats towards the rad. That is the output right?
Its almost like its got a air bubble in the fuel system. Im going to try and get a wench on the hard lines ontop of the head tomorrow.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. That means you likely have a blockage in the fuel return line at the end of the hard line.

Its the rubber line that goes back through and into a fitting at the top of the tank. Its a 4mm line if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Its time to figure out just not what's wrong, but how it got wrong. If you have a blockage that far up in the fuel system, you have to ask how. Nothing should have gotten past the fuel filter, nor the water separator. It would behoove you to pull the top cover, (and have more room to see and do) and check/clean the fuel system, from tank to the cylinders. If your blockage is because of trash, water, rust or whatever, it's better to get it clean now, then to go through this again. And again.

Have you checked the fuel system out before? Have you changed the filters before? Is this set new to you? Have you ever seen it run right, for longer than 2-3 hours?

Like I said, take the top off. Its a max 10 min. job, and gives you so much more room and visibility.

Bmxenbrett

I just got the gen set a few days ago and only saw it run for about half an hour. It would make sence that its a blockage but like you said thats prety far up in the fuel system.
Guess its time to pull the cover, fuel lines, filters.

jamawieb

Follow the return lines up to the top of the motor. Look for zip ties holding it up. Sometimes they are put on to tight and cause kinks, in turn cutting off fuel.

Bmxenbrett

Fuel filters changed and cut open to check. They were clean and now new. Getting fuel out of every soft line. I am not getting fuel out of the injection pumps. But i am getting fuel to there soft line. I pulled one and the plunger in the engine is moving up and down when i crank it. Do these injection pumps clocked in any way? When i cracked the line on them to prime it initially it twisted the pump slightly.

Bmxenbrett

Any idea what would cause an 802a to ossolate? Even with no load, really bogs down and almost shuts off with a 5kw load. This is for a different gen set.

Guyfang

Staff member
When you twisted the pump. you move it out of adjustment. If you want to take ONE injector pump out at a time, its easier to get them back in right. Taking both out at one time is not recommended.

Also keep in mind that these engines are self bleeding, but sometimes are a PITA to self bleed.

If you are considering opening up a Injector pump, there is an active thread, (from Dav 5?) where he took the pumps apart. Shows a picture and explains how he did it. You need to use a Pin Wrench, to get it open. Have you cracked the input line, at the injectors, and turned the engine over?

Bmxenbrett

Yes i cracked that line. I totaly removes the radiator side hard line and im getting nothing, i have fuel at the IP soft line. I can feel the fuel rack engaged on the IP pin.

Guyfang

Staff member
Any idea what would cause an 802a to oscillate? Even with no load, really bogs down and almost shuts off with a 5kw load. This is for a different gen set.
Fuel pump weak
Air in the lines, or maybe a small leak
Incorrectly adjusted injector pumps

How fast is the oscillation? Super fast? Long and slow? The answers depend on the frequency of the oscillation.

Bmxenbrett

Its a long and slow. Really slow when under load.
Should i crack the hard lines at the injectors so see if its air?

Guyfang

Staff member
The thread that shows how to open the IP, is listed below.

Yes, crack the lines, one at a time. It will make a bit of a mess, but that's how it is. Then adjust the IP's. The best way to do that is with a heat sencer. You point it at the exhaust for each cylinder, and adjust the IP's so they match.

[h=3]Hydroloc etc.. Whats usually the first thing that gets bent / broken[/h]

Bmxenbrett

Just cracked the lines ontop. It helped initially then i shut it down to put the muffler back on and the ossolating came back. Tryed with the muffer off again and its still ossolating.

Guyfang

Staff member
Sounds like it may be a small, pin hole? Or a line not quite tight? Somehow air getting into the system. Or the hose clamps on the soft lines going into the IP's. Did you have any sign of a fuel leak on the engine when you first looked at it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks