• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP802A & MEP803A winterization kits

NATCAD

What about a 24v oil pan heater.....?

40 bucks
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Heaters/Kats-Heaters/KH25075.html
Kats Heaters Vehicle Heaters - KH25075

Place this heating pad under your oil or transmission pan to keep the fluid from thickening in the winter. Warm fluids lubricate better for a long-lasting, well-functioning machine. Measures 5" long x 5" wide. Connects to a 24-volt battery.

Features:

• Warms oil or transmission fluid for better lubrication in the winter
    • Warm transmission fluid allows for smoother gear shifting
    • Warm oil provides better lubrication for a longer-lasting, better-functioning engine
  • Resists oil and acid with silicone cover
  • Attaches to underside of your vehicle's oil or transmission pan with 3M tape
  • Connects to 24-volt battery
  • Made in the USA

Bmxenbrett

A block heater or heat mat would work as long as you go out and start the set as soon as the power goes out. I am going to get a block heater for mine by next winter just for the piece of mind.

Chrispyny

A block heater or heat mat would work as long as you go out and start the set as soon as the power goes out. I am going to get a block heater for mine by next winter just for the piece of mind.
Has anyone had an issue starting their 802 or 803? My 002a started much harder than my 802. In real cold weather, i’d have to hold the preheat for a solid minute. When i tested my 802 the other day, it was 21°f and i held preheat for 20 seconds and honestly it didn’t even need it.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 802/803 engines are a different design without a prechamber. They do not require preheat like the air cooled models do. I ran my brothers 802 over New Years with temps in the teens. Zero preheat. Fired up after a few seconds. No problem. That won't work with the 002/003 models.

1brassjunkie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Kats magnetic oil pan heater already but I don't leave it plugged in all the time because how can you anticipate an outage. When the power goes out, there is nothing to plug it into, and that's when you'll need the genset. I have a swingfire heater which will overcome that obstacle if needed. I'm just looking for the self contained flip the switch and make life easier type solution. When it gets subzero, simple tasks can be overly complicated because nothing seems to work like it should!

Bmxenbrett

I had a problem starting my 802 at -8* a few days ago. This one never got antigel in the fuel but once it got up to about 5* it ran fine. I also think my batterys were frozen or close to it. It acted like the batterys were half dead. It did puff black smoke so mabe it wasnt a fuel gel problem.
Wasnt really worried about it not running when i need it because i have many other batterys and could have ran my truck exhaust into the cabinet to heat everything up.

My primary 802 is in the garage taken appart for well nut issues. That one will be getting a block heater and possibly battery heaters.

Bmxenbrett

If your going to use the generators batterys to heat the oil before you start it i think that will be a loosing battle. Your batterys will be at there weakest when you need to use the heater and 75w is really not alot of heat.

They do make cordless propane tube heaters now. No 120v needed and it could be used on many vehicles, your house or garage.

1brassjunkie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AS far as fuel goes, I use #1 or a 50/50 "winter blend" diesel in the gensets and all of the 5gal jeep cans. I treat all "stored" diesel with PRI-D accordingly. That way I'm good year round. They jack up the price of #1 come winter but you can offset the cost some by using dyed #1 which I use in the skid steer. But I do keep 911 on hand just in case. And to keep my options open and properly manage my fuel storage I fill the genset jeep cans with "On Road" fuel and mark #1 or #2 in case I need them in a vehicle. The #1 dyed fuel, is pumped from the drum directly into the gensets or "off road" equipment. Just my 2 cents worth...

Haoleb

I am going to need to pay attention to this thread, normally I keep my 803 in my garage that never really gets below 40 degrees but now I am keeping my truck in there for the winter and the generator gets to sit outside instead. I have started it in about 10 degree weather and ran it the other day after sitting out in below zero temps for a week straight and no issues but I do not like to run an engine with freezing cold oil if I don't have to even if It will start. I am thinking of maybe a small 500 watt heater I can plug in when power outages are likely that can either be portable or I can permanently mount into the cabinet.

A couple years ago I started my jeep that had the 4.0 in it and it was below zero.. I took the oil fill cap off the valve cover to look inside and I swear it took a minute of running before I could see the oil coming up through the push rods and running back into the head. Now I keep it on a timer with a block heater ;)

csheath

When I was younger and stupider I would light a couple of chunks of charcoal in a pan and slide it under my Triumph Bonneville for a spell. Made it MUCH easier to kick start.

snowtrac nome

if you have a block heater installed in your freeze plug that will work fine leave it plugged in it all the time it will work like a hotstart.
I did a few of the espbacher winterization kit installs they worked real nice but they are expensive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks