• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep802a vs mep1030

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I absolutely hate vaguery: "I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT. I WAS GOING TO USE THIS, BUT OUT PLANS CHANGED AND I NEVER NEEDED IT. "

Yes if you look close the data plate says 400hz... the seller put in the effort enough to list the model and the kw output. Would have been just as easy to also list the hertz, but trying to pass their bad purchase on to someone else.

Nothing worse than lying by omission.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think its misrepresented unfortunately, no manufacturer part number listed. Just 'MEP 10kw military" yadda yadda. Generic enough.

TheAlfredo

This has nothing to do with this thread, per say. BUT, just spotted a 10 KW, MEP1040 in the big auction site. No place in the add, has this person stated that its a 400 hertz set. Screen shots of the data plates are not good enough to see what it is. But a picture of the control panel screen, was good enough to see its not a 60 hertz gen set. Let the buyer beware.
I saw that too. Messaged the guy....but I think he know he is trying to unload a 400

Chainbreaker

Fuel burn rate, do you really care, for me i dont and will not let that be an influence of any consideration,
I believe "fuel burn rate" can end up becoming a "consideration to some" depending on certain factors:

1. If a person lives in a location affected by significant events (Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Ice/Snow Storms, Earthquakes, Fires etc.) that take out power for an extended time, a week or so plus, it can indeed present a fuel issue. If one is unable to get off their property or can't navigate impassible streets due to downed trees, street flooding, snow drifts, fires, etc. in order to make a re-fueling run its an issue. That is...unless one is fortunate enough to have a large diesel farm tank, home heating oil tank, very large auxiliary genset tank or can manage to stash several 55 gal drums of diesel in reserve. If one does have a large fuel source on hand and you don't use that fuel annually you face a fuel rotation dilemma or it will eventually go bad.

2. The other potential issue is cost. Unless you have deep pockets, or manage to set aside a chunk of change for an extended outage "refueling budget", you might be in for a shock after an extended outage. For those of us on the West Coast States diesel is currently just above $3/gal and can approach or pass $4/gal depending on the oil market. Just to keep the math simple, let's say one's generator burns 1 gallon of fuel/hr and you are required to run around the clock for 10 days due to an extended outage. That's going to burn through 240 gallons of fuel. If current price of diesel were $3/gal your fuel bill just for the generator during that event alone is $720, (@ $4/gal one is nearing a $1,000 refueling bill). However, if it was 1/2 gal/hr @ $3/gal that's a much more palatable $360 out of pocket expense due to an unforeseen event.

I only want to point this out because a couple years back I experienced a week long ice storm outage with downed trees & pwr poles across roads and the thought of running out of fuel if it went longer became a factor. For me, that was with a fuel burn rate of just a 1/2 gal/hr. Since that weather event lesson I have since increased my fuel reserves on hand.

Therefore, I would advise anyone looking for a backup generator to seriously consider matching the generator to the required electrical load you intend to service. Bigger is not always better in the case of home standby generators.

Last edited:

1000eemonarch

Thanks for the nice write-up on these generators, mciikurzroot

I got my MEP-1070 and have been rather happy with it! Being a civilian owned unit with almost no hours and 3 years old, it is pretty nice. Here's a walkaround and startup video:

(pardon me saying it has a QSB5.9, it really has a Cummins QSB 4.5l 4-cylinder)

Fun generator.... I have a lot more to learn about it. Thinking of starting a new thread on the analysis of this unit. I also have the TM, schematics, and the software disc that came with it.

Thanks,
Alex.

jmenende

I got my MEP-1070 and have been rather happy with it! Being a civilian owned unit with almost no hours and 3 years old, it is pretty nice. Here's a walkaround and startup video:

Fun generator.... I have a lot more to learn about it. Thinking of starting a new thread on the analysis of this unit. I also have the TM, schematics, and the software disc that came with it.

Thanks,
Alex.
Howdy. I just got one myself. Could you upload a copy of software? I could pay you for a copy in the mail. Thanks

MrShawn305

Thanks,
Alex.
Man, that thing is sweeeeeeeeet!

jmenende

Just got my new mep 1040 in today and its awsome. Its a 2014 model with less than 300 hours on it. They were nice enough to break in the genset and also the CD that came with it. I really want to get my hands on a copy that does not require an anual renewal like the one you can download off the cummins site.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks