• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803 thermostat replacement and proper coolant

toypar

I have a Mep803 that will not get over 140. I am preparing to replace the thermostat this weekend. What is a safe long life coolant for these units? Do they have brass/soldered radiators?
if anyone has done research on coolant, it will make your head spin as much as researching oils.
I want to make sure to use a coolant that will protect the brass/solder (of this set has that) right away as opposed to a Dexcool or OAT type coolant that takes many hours to start protecting metals.

thank you

Ray70

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on antifreeze..... and there are high performance antifreeze solutions available, but for me good old Green Prestone has always treated me well. It's available everywhere and priced reasonably.

And yes, your 803's radiator is soldered brass.
I wouldn't go anywhere near Dexcool for anything. I've see way too many GM's with mud in the radiator! ;)

toypar

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on antifreeze..... and there are high performance antifreeze solutions available, but for me good old Green Prestone has always treated me well. It's available everywhere and priced reasonably.

And yes, your 803's radiator is soldered brass.
I wouldn't go anywhere near Dexcool for anything. I've see way too many GM's with mud in the radiator! ;)
I am staying away from dexcool for sure. I see lots of people run Rotella ELC and that is an OAT coolant like dexcool. So it must have extra additives for brass and solder?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks