• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803A fuel level adjustment

dav5

I was thinking of cobbling it but the new one allows me to make it somewhat longer on both arms. As long as it doesn't bind it would give a more accurate reading. If I take out the filler neck I can reach in and check whether there is free movement.

dav5

I couldn't stay away from the **** thing. OCD kicked in. I should have taken a better look at the Amazon sensor last night. There is a multi holed extension that isn't on the original. If that is removed it is identical in every way to the original. I removed the filler neck. It took about 20 minutes.I don't think it will go back together that fast. I wish I had removed it right at the start. I can now get my whole arm into the hole. I adjusted the new sensor so both arms were 5 1/2 inches. The float arm length is to the center of the float. I reached in and oriented it so it points to the corner and lifted it to see if it contacts the tank sides. Since it has the aluminum insert in the hole it can be rotated after all the bolts are tightened. No way is it liquid tight.
I am waiting to put in the brass wellnut before I button it up. I have mixed emotions. I might just leave the nitrile one in. I installed it in a hurry originally and guessed at the 40 inch pounds Daybreak recommended because I was too lazy to go get a 1/4-3/8 adapter. Of course it leaked. I then retorqued it properly when I got an adapter and it leaked again. I ground the tips of a needle nose vice grip and retorqued it while holding the brass washer and I was able to tighten it a fair bit more before the torque wrench clicked. It is way more solid now and no leak.IMG_0746.jpgIMG_0748.jpgIMG_0749.jpgIMG_0750.jpgIMG_0751.jpgIMG_0752.jpg

Last edited:

dav5

The brass wellnuts arrived within 2 days so I decided to finish everything. The wellnuts are very substantial so I pulled out the nitrile wellnut and replaced it. A word of caution the nut is left hand thread which makes sense. The shutoff is right hand thread and tightens everything when it is turned. But it wasn't as easy for me as it was for Boatman. It was a PITA holding the inner part with a wrench while tightening the main nut with another wrench. I think though I was maybe trying to overtighten it. No torque values are available for the wellnut. The final result is very solid and no leaks. I would suggest threading a metal pipe into the internal thread so they aren't distorted when you tighten everything.
The fuel sensor works great. The 5 1/2 length on the arms mirrors the actual fuel level almost exactly. I decided to try out the auxiliary fuel pump and it works great too except it doesn't shut off. I don't think I will ever use it but it is the only thing on my unit that isn't perfect so I have to fix it. Any ideas on which way to move the C clips? Thanks Ted

Guyfang

Staff member
When you tested the aux fuel pump, what position was the FL-1 and FL-2? If they were in the low/no fuel position, then the aux wont turn off.

dav5

Again you are the best Guyfang. Yes I switched it when the fuel was low. It worked great until it didn't shut off. I will test it again when I get back. I have to spend the evening getting all my fishing gear together. I owe you mucho premium beer. Do they deliver in Germany? PM me your address.

Last edited: