• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803A heater

dav5

Howdy,
:D A MEP-803A in good condition with artic heater kit, reset, with batteries. It's funny how they had a whole matching set of older gauges to put in. The whole front panel is new, with the older style gauges.

There were a few units with the artic kit and an 803A with only 13 hours after a 2012 Reset. It had a big fork gash below the fuel filler and the fuel tank was badly dented and it went for more than the one I got . Go figure!!
I recognized that the guages were different but I didn't realize they were the old style. Also my rookie ignorance made me think that the fluids were always drained even though the description didn't say they were.
The 803A that I have hooked up to the house only has 500 or so hours on it and I installed Jim C's 3 guage digital set that is awesome. If this unit is as nice as the photos suggest I guess the 500 hour unit will be my parts unit. I will transfer the digital gauges and put the original guages back in the 500 hour unit. I have a new pressure guage to go with the digital set so I can keep the older style gauges for backup. Are the older gauges as reliable as the newer style.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Or, you can sell a complete working unit and then really buy a parts unit.

A gauge is a gauge is a gauge. I think the only difference was they went with a different vendor... It is a little nicer that they are the same, instead of one beat up old one, a old one and then a new style one. Below is the newer style gauges, yours has a small diamond pattern at the lower portion of the gauge instead of just a black frame.
control panel lit gauges1.jpg

CT-Mike

I also scored one from Drum in 2015 with the winterization kit. Works like a charm, burns 0.1 gph I believe, but will have the coolant up to 180 F in about 20-30 mintues or so.

Guyfang

Staff member
It may not even be a new vendor. The military gives the vendor specs for a meter. As long as the meter meets the specs, its good. So just because it looks different, doesn't mean its technically different, only cosmetically different.

Normally, if a part is improved or upgraded, it gets a new part number and NSN. The military hates to do this, as it cost money, big money, to issue a new part number and National Stock Number. Add that to then having now TWO different parts in the system. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you think about how many parts, (say 2000 parts) at X amount of dollars per part, spread out all over the world, in who knows how many SSA's, (Supply Support Activities) and unit level PLL's, (Parts Logistic Locations) and then you begin to see the problem.

If the old part is the cause for equipment being deadlined, the gov wants the old part turned in. To ship them all back cost money. So to clear the decks, the parts go into the trash, hopefully. If the parts are still usable, then the old NSN gets a note hung on it to "Use Until Exhausted, new NSN is:..............". Sometimes the gov will continue to buy parts that may not be "Top of the Line", because its cheaper then going through this whole nut roll. And don't forget each new part would need a new contract. And then the gov has to send out the contract to umpteen vendors, and then haggle with them to get the lowest bidder. Thats the reason the volt gage has looked more or less the same since Adam was a corporal. Its simple, it works and when you buy the same part for ever there is no "retooling" or R&R costs to drive it up in price.

dav5

Selling it would be the wise thing to do but once you have put the sweat equity into it and got it purring it is hard to part with it. I now have both a MEP831A and a MEP803A "parts machine" that are both in better shape than the original machines. I think I have MEP disease. I just love tinkering with them. I also enjoy reading the advice you guys give. You couldn't get better info anywhere. Thanks Guys.

dav5

The nine 803's in the last GL auction in NY went for and average of $1,796.
I paid $2090 for my 2009 803A with the winterization kit and 3 hrs on the clock after a 2011 Reset. It came to just over $2500 with buyers premium and taxes. I'm picking it up on Tuesday. I wasn't being smart with the question marks. I didn't understand you question until the last reply came in.

Last edited:

dav5

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately when I arrived at Fort Drum after a 5 hour drive they couldn't locate the generator so I ended up with a different machine with no winterization kit. I AM NOT HAPPY. I will be starting a new thread to describe what happened after I have contacted GL management.

CT-Mike

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately when I arrived at Fort Drum after a 5 hour drive they couldn't locate the generator so I ended up with a different machine with no winterization kit. I AM NOT HAPPY. I will be starting a new thread to describe what happened after I have contacted GL management.
Ouch. I hope you do some major league chewing on some GL management ass. Interested to hear how it turns out.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OUCH ! :hammer:

Somebody needs to get hammered.

A MEP-803A with winterization kit, reset, with 3 hours on the clock. No way, am I just taking whatever...

I agree, I would be Pi$$ed off after driving that distance. Where is the professionalism there, oh take that one.

I guess I have been lucky, both times I dealt with GL, it's been a good experience ( In PA ). Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dav5

No, for sure I wasn't going to take "whatever" even thogh she tried to push me I ended up with a 2006, 15.2 original hours on the clock. The original air filter is brand new. I don't have it off my truck yet to get a really good look at it plus I am still totally pissed off at the way I was treated SO I am going to cool off and give a more clinical response tomorrow. I will be airing my experience further on a new thread and going after GL for a partial refund. Thanks again Mike

CT-Mike

This makes me wonder if someone had a friend at the GL office at Drum and talked them into the old bait and switch to get a better unit.

dav5

That Thought was the first one to cross my anger clouded mind. I can't believe I didn't explode[ not a good idea on a military base]. I must be getting wiser with age.

Guyfang

Staff member
Take a day or two to cool off, then make a written complaint. Find out who the head person is, and write him personally, and include everyone in the chain of command. Demand a reply. Be sure to ask them if they would pay for a car, that they didnt order.

Bmxenbrett

No, for sure I wasn't going to take "whatever" even thogh she tried to push me I ended up with a 2006, 15.2 original hours on the clock. The original air filter is brand new. I don't have it off my truck yet to get a really good look at it plus I am still totally pissed off at the way I was treated SO I am going to cool off and give a more clinical response tomorrow. I will be airing my experience further on a new thread and going after GL for a partial refund. Thanks again Mike
Happened to you too? I picked up monday. Won a 802 and 803 with 44 and 94 hrs. Tryed to stick me with a 549hr and 266hr unit missing fuel pump and who knows what else.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks