• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803A in my future

Sodamo

Aloha

May be getting the 10kw 803a to use as a backup generator. We are completely off grid, 10kw of PV, Outback FX3048 inverters, FX80 charge controllers, 1350ah Rolls Surette battery bank (nearing EOL). My primary Genset is a 24kw Chinese, currently down for water pump, but that is another story. My backup generator also bit the dust, so I'm looking at alternatives. Currently surviving with my Honda 2000. My preference is for diesel that I can wire into my system, have auto start and be able to use without reprogramming my system. Looks like the 803 with auto start mode will fit the bill. Budget is an issue.
Living here on Big Island Hawaii resources can be limited. Used military equipment does become available but via Oahu. Apparently, we have a local guy who buys just about all the gensets as they become available. He has a maintenance guy that works for his primary business that goes thru them, getting them operational, new fluids, batteries, etc. He currently had 3 units available, 2 1994 units over 6k hours, 1 1999 with just less than 5k hours. I'm looking at the 1999. Price $3k
So at this point I'm reading all I can trying to learn. I expect to run this unit about 100hrs a year, allowing for exercise and use, barring a major problem with my primary unit once it is fixed.
As I read and learn I'll have some questions and there sure seems a lot of knowledge here.

My first concern is the auto start mod and would appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance.
David

Sodamo

Will be picking up this unit tomorrow afternoon I think.
As this will be stationary, inside my tractor shed I will extend the exhaust to outside. Anyone done this? What did you use? Diameter? Mine will be a straight link up then 90° to outside.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will be picking up this unit tomorrow afternoon I think.
As this will be stationary, inside my tractor shed I will extend the exhaust to outside. Anyone done this? What did you use? Diameter? Mine will be a straight link up then 90° to outside.
Sodamo,
The tip of the exhaust pipe on the unit has standard pipe threads for this very purpose. I am away from home in a hotel, so I can't measure mine for you, but it should be a fairly easy modification for your installation.

Sodamo

Well, the 803a is in my tractor shed. Still loaded on my M1102 trailer.
Will off load tomorrow, wire in temporary for a test run.

image.jpg
image.jpg

In the tractor shed
image.jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy, Man, that was quick. It seems you just asked about them and bam, you pick it up. Good deal. You will find all your MEP-803A information here on the site and from other great members.

Sodamo

Thanks.
Have read a few of your posts, hope to get to them all.

This was somewhat of an urgent manner.
We live totally off grid. 2 months ago our primary generator (24kw, built in Az of mostly Chinese parts) died. Turned out to be just the water pump and fan, but we were just days from leaving for a months vacation. Not too concerned as had an 8kw for backup and made arrangements for a mechanic to make repairs once I got the parts. Wishful thinking, as I couldn't find parts., not even the dealer had them.
Just as we are about to embark on our first ever cruise, the guys house/dog sitting get hold of me that the Ridgid 8kw is acting up. Not a problem as I pre wired for my Honda 2000 a couple years back. Of course the Honda will barely charge the batteries, not run the house and requires major reprogramming of my system. They only lost power 1 time.
So we get home, attempt to fix the Ridgid is a no go, only putting out 44 hz. At 496 hours and previous work done, I'm not about to throw more money at it. Last week, my dealer finally came up with parts for my primary (installed today). So I have been busily looking at alternatives since return and last Fri this 803 came up on CL. saw it Sat, been researching ever since. Cash became available today so picked it up. Seller has sold a bunch of mil surplus gensets, 10s, 30s, and 60's plus uses them to run his farm.
This set is older 1999 and more hours 4924 than I would have preferred, but for the price couldn't find a better alternative.
Ill be ordering the auto start mod and wiring in permanently. Will create a thread on that.

Guyfang

Staff member
Please go over the set with a critical eye before starting. Saves having a mess of fuel, oil or (hopefully) coolant. Look for holes. I mean where something may have been once upon a time, but are not now. I know you said someone had gone over them. Trust is good. Control is better. Shoot us more pictures.

Sodamo

Thanks guy, will do.
Already run up twice Sat at initial look and again yesterday before I paid for it, but never hurts to check again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks