• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep803a oil pressure sensor issue?

tburk49760

New to me mep803a with 40 hours. Did the standard stuff on arrival. New fluids, filters and coolant. Batteries are good. Started right up but oil pressure lamp lit and engine shut down. Second try, starts and runs fine. Let it run if an hour and on restart, shuts down on low oil pressure safety. Oil pressure shows near 40 when running. Seems to come up some when cranking. Is there an adjustment on the safety control or is something wonky? Have yet to test gen output. Plugged a heater into convenience outlet and no joy. Pressed test and reset on gfci with the correct feel and sounds. Sure runs smooth and quiet...

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly you released the switch too early? It will immediately shut down due to lack of adequate oil pressure build up if released prematurely.
Upon starting you have to hold S1 in the START position until it comes up to speed and the oil pressure has come up. Then release the switch.

My 802 had a 10 amp inline fuse installed in it which limits current to the outlet to 10 amps (despite the 15 amp tag by the outlet)
Possibly yours has the same inline fuse and it blew with the heater plugged it.

tburk49760

Those both seem possible... Thanks I will check that out today. This means I will have to hold the start switch longer than necessary as the engine starts almost instantly?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct.
The Start circuit is "smart" and will disengage the starter after it starts even though you are holding the switch in the Start position.
No harm will come if you hold the switch in start for a 5 seconds or longer.
You need to hold it in Start for the oil pressure to build and the generator to flash itself before releasing it.

jamawieb

Interesting, I didn't know the starter would automatically drop out after the engine started. How many other model generators have this feature?
Most military generators have the starter lock out. This feature on some units will also re-flash the field, if you hit the start switch after the unit is up and going.

tburk49760

That hold the starter switch solved the issue! Thanks so much! Today I flushed the cooling system more. Ran about 200 gallons of water through it. There was a lot of dark almost black mud in there! Will run it a bit then flush and repeat til clear.

Guyfang

Staff member
The reason the starter gets locked out is the magnetic pickup counts the number of teeth on the flywheel going by. When it hits its limit, the starter SHOULD lock out. It it doesn't, then you need to take a look at the mag pick up. You can, and I have held the start switch in the start position for 5 minutes, and longer.

Like KLOPPK said, you are not holding the start switch long enough. This is a very common thing for the TQG's to drop back off line when the oil pressure doesn't come up fast enough.

The GFI with the inline fuse is an "old style" GFI. The newer ones do not have the fuse.

ALL TQG's have this lockout and most any other army gen set also. Like the MEP-002-MEP-006 models.

tburk49760

My gfci unit has a small 10 amp circuit breaker built in and an inline fuse holder... Double redundant redundancy... 10 amp circuits are useless. The label on the outside calls out 15 amp circuit. Hmmm

tburk49760

The meter control switch knob broke off today. This seems to only change what the volt meter is testing. Not sure I need that but the ocd me wants a new switch. Not sure I want to spend $160 to get it though. There must be a better source?

tburk49760

I've put about three hours on this beast and it seems to be running great! I have flushed the cooling system about 6 times and I'm still getting black mud out? Seems to be clearing up. I'll just keep going til it's really clean. Not sure how it got so bad.

Chrispyny

I've put about three hours on this beast and it seems to be running great! I have flushed the cooling system about 6 times and I'm still getting black mud out? Seems to be clearing up. I'll just keep going til it's really clean. Not sure how it got so bad.
Try some of that prestone radiator flush. Its a process. You put in the cleaner, run machine, flush, fill with proper coolant.

Try it. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks