• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep804b Will NOT stay running

fjdedrick

Purchased an 804B through GOV Planet.... Unit had 18 Hours on the meter.

Changed Oil, Fresh Fuel and Fuel Treatment.

Unit ran strong for about 30 hours, then one day it shut down by itself. Low Voltage light lit on panel. Then one day it ran for about 4 hours and shut itself down. Genset would not stay running after restart.

Heres what it does/did.

When attempting to start unit will crank for about 15 seconds (this is the longest I will crank it) after fifteen seconds it starts. Unit will run and appear to be fine for about 15-30 seconds then shut down. Upon shutdown the "low voltage" light would come on. I could repeat this process 100 times. It really seems starving for Fuel. I replaced all the filters, separator and lift pump. Nada.

I've held the start switch, activate the battle short in as many combinations as possible. Same result. It sat for a month. I put a call out to the Facebook world looking for local help. A reservist answered and had me drive it down to camp Perry in Ohio and some boys looked at it.

They started the unit and it ran flawlessly.... They said they had pushed a button behind the panel next the the over speed reset switch.

Unit is powering an M1079 converted into a coffee truck.

I towed it home and finally had a day to work on the M1079 Coffee Plumbing. The unit ran like a Champ for 12 hours straight powering a 220 heater, shop vac, lights, a refrigerater, a kegerator... I finished most of the water lines, shut it down and went to bed. This morning it was really cold. I checked the plumbing and found some ice in the sink. So before I left for work (5am), I started then genny and left. My wife was to shut it down at some point during the day. About 10am she called me and said it shut itself down. I assumed it was out of fuel.

I just got home and I'm right back to square one... 65 hours on the meter. Unit starts and shuts down, low voltage light comes on..... I can't find a button popped anywhere. I tripped and reset every button I could find. It doesn't change anything.

I'm a former marine, so reading the schematic is tough. I do have a multimeter and a little daylight.

Guyfang

Staff member
Purchased an 804B through GOV Planet.... Unit had 18 Hours on the meter.

Changed Oil, Fresh Fuel and Fuel Treatment.

Unit ran strong for about 30 hours, then one day it shut down by itself. Low Voltage light lit on panel. Then one day it ran for about 4 hours and shut itself down. Genset would not stay running after restart.

Heres what it does/did.

When attempting to start unit will crank for about 15 seconds (this is the longest I will crank it) (Why? As long as your set has the Quad Circuit MWO, you can not hurt the main gen by holding the S1, Start switch in the up position, when the Volt regulator has an Over Voltage problem. So has your unit a Quad circuit MWO?) after fifteen seconds it starts. Unit will run and appear to be fine for about 15-30 seconds then shut down. (This could be because you do not hold the S1 in the start position long enough. All MEP and TQG gen sets have this "Problem". Some times you need to hold it a bit longer. Normally I hold the S1 up until the volt and Hertz meter come up, and hold steady.) Upon shutdown the "low voltage" light would come on. (This is normal. The set shut down, without being turned off correctly. The set has an under voltage relay. It senses a "Fault" when the AC voltage sinks under a certainView attachment 756783 level. So you should see this light.) I could repeat this process 100 times. It really seems starving for Fuel. I replaced all the filters, separator and lift pump. Nada.

I've held the start switch, activate the battle short in as many combinations as possible. Same result. It sat for a month. I put a call out to the Facebook world looking for local help. A reservist answered and had me drive it down to camp Perry in Ohio and some boys looked at it.

They started the unit and it ran flawlessly.... They said they had pushed a button behind the panel next the the over speed reset switch.
MEP804B.png Above is the panel you are speaking about. The only thing to "push" would be item 28, The DC control Circuit Breaker. If this had of popped out, you would not have had an Under Volt light, as it cuts off power to everything DC in the set, and the fault indicator is DC powered. So if the boys who looked at your set claimed this was popped, it sounds like Bovine Excreta to me. Unit is powering an M1079 converted into a coffee truck.

I towed it home and finally had a day to work on the M1079 Coffee Plumbing. The unit ran like a Champ for 12 hours straight powering a 220 heater, shop vac, lights, a refrigerater, a kegerator... I finished most of the water lines, shut it down and went to bed. This morning it was really cold. I checked the plumbing and found some ice in the sink. So before I left for work (5am), I started then genny and left. My wife was to shut it down at some point during the day. About 10am she called me and said it shut itself down. I assumed it was out of fuel.

At first this would sound like a fuel problem to me also. BUT, can you describe how the set shuts off? And this is going to require you to HEAR and SEE how that happens. I don't mean when you start it up and it quits. I mean when it runs a while and quits. Does the engine JUST STOP? Or does it slowly shut off? Sound like its running out of fuel? Or maybe osculate a bit before stopping? A quick stop COULD be electrical and a slow stop COULD mean an fuel problem.

I just got home and I'm right back to square one... 65 hours on the meter. Unit starts and shuts down, low voltage light comes on..... I can't find a button popped anywhere. I tripped and reset every button I could find. It doesn't change anything.

I'm a former marine, so reading the schematic is tough. (But not always the norm. You are being too tough on yourself. I know at least one or two Marines who can count to 21 without dropping their pants. Now if you were an Air Defender, I would believe it.) I do have a multimeter and a little daylight.