• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP805A Issue

phisherman

Hello everyone

Welp new to the site,but read a lot. Believe in trying to answer my own questions before asking a question, when the information is there. But not so much this time. So here goes.

I have a 805a gen that I am bringing back to life. Engine runs great now after doing some long over due maintenance to it.

The issue or issurs that I am having, don't know if they are all related are as follows.

1. I am able to read voltage and Hz on all three lugs (phases) in all positions of the VM-AM switch. The voltage gauge/meter will indicate 110 volts on each of the three settings as selected. The Hz gauge reads approximately 57Hz.

2. When the VM-AM switch is rotated to each of the three 220 volt positions,the voltage meter will drop to 0 volts but the Hz meter continues to show approximately 57Hz. Each of the three lugs (phases) will have 110v on them and 57hz read on each one.

3. Voltage nor Hz can be "fine tuned" using the adjusting knobs at the control panel.

4. At the GCU, Freq when adjusted shows no change on the Hz meter nor on a DVOM

5. A slight voltage adjustment was made at the voltage regulator to bring the readable voltage up to 110 volts

6. The VM-AM was replaced due to the fact the harness set screws were damaged due to weather.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed anyone that should read this but I am just trying to give out as much detail as possible in regards to these issues. I am hoping for direction in these final repairs so that I can finish this project.

Regards
Eddie

seek

I do not have one of those but reading I wondered if you cleaned your contacts on your selection switch yet? I have read others that have had the same basic problem and sometimes it's as simple as cleaning the selector that leads to a solution.

phisherman

If you are calling the VM-AM switch a "selection switch" ,it was replaced with a new one and each individual terminal wire end was cleaned before reinstalling the wiring into the switch.

phisherman

Follow Up:
1.The AM/VM switch that was installed was a replacement of what had been installed by another party. After investigating parts it was concluded that not only was the switch not approved for the gen but also on one side of the switch the bridges, half were missing. Also the switch was wired incorrectly. When these corrections were made I was then able to select/create 110v settings but also 220v settings.

2. The voltage potentiometer had been replaced on this unit and it also was wired and soldered incorrectly to the pins of the switch. Once that issue was corrected fine adjustments could be made. Now the system appears to be functioning correctly at this time.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks