• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP831A DC charging unit problem

NATCAD

Hello everybody,

What should the current range be on the output of the DC charging unit?

Problem observed is following:

When the battery is removed from a running unit it will not run, and when a battery is connected, it is not able to keep the battery stabilized and runs it down, eventually again shutting down.

The dc charging device is putting out 27-28 v

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't make a lot of amps. For some reason 7 amps sticks in my mind.

The charger can put out voltage while not being able to generate real amps.

I've not pulled one out yet to see if they are serviceable. If I were to guess I best they are well potted and a challenge to repair.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to look at seeing if a switch mode power supply could be slightly modified to replace the charger. I've not had a lot of time to play around with that idea though.

If you can find someone parting out a unit that would be the low cost option. Temporarily running a charger/power supply off the convenience outlet would keep things going.

I'll do a bit more digging to see if I can find something suitable.

NATCAD

Problem found, see broken zip tie allowing vibration. Pending reinstall after fix and confirmation of working.

DA - I would very much want a manual 24v charger to apply voltage as needed from 110-120.

I would expect all our power supplies are waiting to die from the torridal coil vibration/fatigue on account of this cheapness on zip tie use.

Thanks K Klopp on reviewing the photos

IMG_5390.JPGIMG_5389.JPGIMG_5388.JPG

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just checked my two 831's for broken zip ties.
Unit #1 all good. Zip ties in tact.

Unit #2 - YIKES!!!!
Both zip ties busted and the toroid was just floating around.
20180314_154216.jpg

Removed some of the old zip ties. The zip tie parts encased in the conformal coat I left. Didn't want to risk damaging the toroid.
Re-secured the toroid with cable harness lacing cord. Certainly not going to trust using zip ties.

20180314_160529.jpg

Last edited:

Kenny0

I have found that the black cable ties will outlast the natural color ties by many times. I haven't used natural colored ties in years. Never use natural colored ties where it is exposed to sunlight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks