• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEPs on Casters

storeman

I recently won and retrieved a MEP-002a and a MEP-003a. Have been thinking about putting 4 heavy duty casters under each so they can be moved around for maintenance in their new shed to be built in the spring. Has anyone tried this?

Also, would like to make ASKs for them. Anyone done this? Pictures?

Jerry

Bill W

I put my first 003A on 4 pnuematic swivel castors from Northern tool, it worked fine for what I wanted "BUT" if I was to do it again I would use solid tires and only have 2 swivel and two fixed wheels. With four swivels the genset kinda had a mind of its own when I started rolling it

lindyp38

i put my first 003a on 4 pnuematic swivel castors from northern tool, it worked fine for what i wanted "but" if i was to do it again i would use solid tires and only have 2 swivel and two fixed wheels. With four swivels the genset kinda had a mind of its own when i started rolling it
great idea.....

Our computer carts are rigged up that...way......

I forgot that.....

Easier to move around......

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not put casters under my MEP-003A, but if I did, I would put the type on that lock up so that it didn't roll around when running

storeman

the locking casters are what i have. 2 free, 2 locking and the wheels are solid! this may work out okay. was really concerned about enough vibration to eat up the bearings, but if the engine mounts are in decent shape (right now under a foot of snow) maybe vibration won't be as much of an issue as i feared.

no one has input on an ASK?

jimbob1111

I used some old 6" plate casters. I drilled and tapped some 3/8 plates I had too match the caster pattern & one hole in the center. I put a piece of all-thread in the middle hole and welded it in. I just used what I had on hand.
If you can find a heavy duty set of stem casters, that would be ideal.
Two are swivel casters & the other two are fixed with brakes. I mostly just use them to roll around on concrete in the shop, when working on a genny. If i turn the swivel casters at a right angle to each other it doesn't walk around too much.
WWW.SURPLUSCENTER.COM has a good selection of casters.

sorry my pic's not too good.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Acoustic Suppression Kits are a military modification that really changes a lot of the outside of the generator. You are better off building a box or small building over the generator with the appropriate holes cut for air cooling, intake, exhaust and servicing. It will be easier than fabricatring your own ASK. (but it probably won't roll around much that way either).

storeman

jimbob
thanks for the experience you have shared and the pics. you are using yours for the exact purpose i have in mind.

now a different question. guess i'll have to find someone with a tractor to loft these off the trailers unless i can install casters while on the trailers, replace the bolts for the beds with pins, turn them into dump trailers and lower the MEPs on casters (to a small ramp to be built) using a come-along to control
them. sounds a bit screwy but i live somewhat remote from like-minded help.

what do ya'll think of that?
:roll:
jerry

Last edited:

AceHigh

Jerry, I unloaded a MEP-003 with an engine lift. Also used the lift to move it to the cradle it is on today.

I then modified the trailer to dump. Should have done the dump mod first. :jumpin:

RIrvin

My MEP-003 was bolted to two treated 2x6's to which four , free turning 8" solid caster wheels had been mounted. This raised the unit 10.5 " which was just right for exhausting through the open garage window where the house back up power connection is located. I've had no problem rolling the unit around by myself nor has it moved itself any while running.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, "ASK" enclosures are expensive. I'm pretty sure I know where one is for the 003, but the guy wants like $1k for it.

Isaac-1

Depending on the height of the trailer, etc. it is certainly possible to unload a generator in the MEP-003a size range without any type of lift. I along with a couple of helpers have successfully unloaded a 30KW generator weighing in around 1650 pounds off a standard small utility trailer with only a couple of cable hoists, scrap iron pipes, tie down straps and some 2x10's.

Jack up generator, put pipes under it and roll it to the back of the trailer

Use 2x10s to built ramps on either side of the generator (4x6 would have been better as the 2x did sag)

connect cargo strap to front of generator and around one of the trailer front braces and out to the side tied off to another vehicle to slow the lowering process and prevent a runaway situation

roll generator part way off back of trailer and place pipe on the ramps under it.

slowly pull generator off trailer with cable hoists while maintaining tension to slow descent.

roll into final position on pipes.

Ike

p.s. remember be safe, and take your time you don't want to drop one of these on anyone

also another option for mobility is one of those cheap folding trailer kits that harbor freight sells

mistaken1

We used 3/4 GRC pipe for rollers to move electrical transformers around.

I have a MEP-002A on (2) 1000# furniture dollies and another one on a four wheel flat bed cart. Neither moves when they are running.

jimbob1111

Hi,
Isaac-1 is on the money on the tying off to another vehicle. If your dealing with the M101 series trailers the front of the bed bends pretty easy!
I had 3 M101A1's triple stacked like dominoes on a 20' deck over trailer. I had the bright idea I would hook a come-along to the lip on the bed front of the trailer in front of it and roll it down the ramps nice & easy. Then the lip will start to bend over where the come-along is hooked to it. You might have better results, but a MEP002 or 003 isn't that much lighter than a M101A.

storeman

jimbob,

thanks. great thoughts. good i was a bit concerned that the box on the 101a3 looked flimsy, same for the 116a2 bed. i'll either tie off to the hooks on the pickup and run a rub surface over the box edge and see if that does the trick, or, since the generators are going onto a concrete patio under my elevated deck, i could run a pulley from support above to take the trailers totally out of the load picture.

jerry