MERDC and LMTV

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

wheelspinner

I know, I know-never happened! That being said, I LOVE MERDC winter verdent and I plan to paint my LMTV and trailer with it. Because I can. Problem is the pattern doesn't exist (of course!) and I can't seem to find a similar body shape from back in the day to copy. Any thoughts on a good starting point?

I have owned a Deuce and a 923 both painted in MERDC and well, I just prefer those colors.

Thanks for the help!

67Beast

Body overall shape is similar to the old M548A1 Tracked Amphibious Cargo Carrier. You should be able to expand the shapes to make it fit.

BKubu

I know, I know-never happened! That being said, I LOVE MERDC winter verdent and I plan to paint my LMTV and trailer with it. Because I can. Problem is the pattern doesn't exist (of course!) and I can't seem to find a similar body shape from back in the day to copy. Any thoughts on a good starting point?

I have owned a Deuce and a 923 both painted in MERDC and well, I just prefer those colors.

Thanks for the help!
I love the MERDC camo pattern and colors. I think your LMTV will look great! I'd love to see pics of your other trucks painted this way, particularly the M923. I've seen several with original MERDC camo, but they are not common.

BKubu

You might also look at the MAN trucks since they have a cab-over design. You may be able to extrapolate from it.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
BK, good call. M1001/1002/1013/1014 trucks are cabover, the pattern might be close enough. Or just adapt an M809 or M44 series pattern.

Trouble is I can't find a pattern for M1001 trucks. TB 43-0147 from DEC 1975, TB-0147 Change2 from JUN 1980 don't have them. Both are too early for M1001 trucks, I was hoping they might show a pattern for M656/757/791 trucks but no such luck. TB 43-0209 from OCT 1990 has an example for M1001 trucks but the TB is all for woodland pattern. Maybe TB 43-0147 or TB 43-0209 between 1980 and 1990 will have a pattern to use. Unfortunately I can't find anything from that range.

Here's some words of inspiration from TB 43-0147: "Training notes, a. Soldiers are not likely to be experienced painters. However, most soldiers can do an acceptable job after a short training period."

Just start painting! the soldiers that painted MERDC didn't know what they were doing either, your pattern will look great and I for one can't wait to see it applied to an FMTV.

SturmTyger380

Like SIGO says - Just remember back in the day the MERDC patterns were kind of a guide for the local units to paint their vehicles. Many of the paint jobs were close but varied a lot.

67Beast

From the TB 43-0209 from Oct. 1976 the two best looking candidates to make a pattern out of are the M548 tracked vehicle and the M656 truck. They are some of the only vehicles with a cab over design. It should be easy to transfer these patterns and add to them in areas that might be needed.

Attachments