• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MERDC Experts, what scheme is this?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason, that is a very nice M151. To me it looks "right" in that scheme, I don't recall ever seeing one of our M151s in the 3-colour scheme, though a lot of our other vehicles were being delivered/painted in that scheme in the mid-80s. I have a soft spot for the M151 because those and M880s were the only tactical vehicles I got to drive regularly (unless you classify the CH-53 as a tactical vehicle...).

Scott, yes, your truck is faded! (Said from a safe distance :twisted:) If you want to see how the Rapco paint holds up, take a look around next time at the farm, all of Sarge's and my trucks that are not in their original paint have Rapco/Gillespie on them. It's good stuff, though it fades eventually too. Nothing can hold up to being parked in the Texas sun!

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, that's it Sam. That is also the scheme the first V100s I saw in the flesh at Camp Bullis were painted (1981?) when we went there for a BnFX, they looked very nice. It is an excellent scheme for Central Texas.

Here is the Summer scheme, which is also what we used "down south". The colour is slightly off due to the lighting. The proper Tropic scheme has the sand replaced with green also, but this one worked better for us.

Does anyone know what museum that V100 is in?

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, but summer here isn't particularly green!
Back when that was the standard camo scheme, just about everything at Ft Hood was in the Winter pattern year round. Same on Camp Pendleton.

Cheers

Last edited:

Pawnshop

True, winter seems greener than summer here, I guess "winter" is the winner. That is likely why the NG painted my M109 "winter" in the first place, it served at Mueller.

Wolf.Dose

The 2 M880 are a very good pic of a non faded camo paint of the late seventies and 80s until the three tone painting black-brown-green came. For Europe / Germany during winter exercices these coulers were usually covered with a chalk white water soluable paint in irregular shapes. Most the time individual shape by the driver / crew. For details of the schematics refer to TB43-0147 for the years until 1990.
Wolf

Militoy

Yeah, but summer here isn't particularly green!
Back when that was the standard camo scheme, just about everything at Ft Hood was in the Winter pattern year round. Same on Camp Pendleton.

Cheers
My Goat came out of Pendleton - and I can attest to the fact that it came to me in US Winter MERDC pattern (as reported above). When I have had to touch up, it's been a simple matter of copying right over the existing scheme, using the same colors. I did replace my tailgate with a NOS one several years ago - and I was a little loose with the paint scheme back there. I'll have to break out the TM before my next event - and put it right again. It's probably also time to finally re-stencil over the original faded USMC markings.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what mine looked like when I got it. It came from DRMO El Toro and sat at the Montebello Police/School district lot for easy 10 years and then with some touch up using Aervo rattle cans. It fades over time.

Attachments

halftrack

First of all I must say that I am really enjoying this topic. Secondly, even though the most common pattern we see of the MERDC is the winter pattern, it suits summer as well as winter due to the the brown - green combo. Therefore I believe most units just left that pattern on the vehicle all the time even tough most units never seen a "true" winter season.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Norway for 'real' winter, we used a water soluble whitewash to cover one of the 45% colours, pretty much at the drivers discretion which one as it worked well with either the green or brown showing. For heavy snow areas, you just slathered the whole vehicle in it. The white got streaky fairly quickly, but that added to the camo effect. You could just pressure wash it all off later.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks