• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meridian, MS to San Diego, CA

Prod

Hey guys, I'm in the Navy and I just got assigned my next duty station, so I'll be driving the Deuce across the country. I've put about 600 miles on the Deuce so far, and the only mechanical issue is the parking brake is questionable. (I chock my wheels anyways.) The trip is about 1800 miles; what can I expect to break?

Edit: I'm leaving either Feb 28th or March 1st, planning on 500-600 miles per day. My route will be I-20 to I-10 to I-8. If anyone nearby wants to pm me a phone number and times it's ok to call, that would be great.

Last edited:

bratpackdad

Welcome to the neighborhood..during your trip expect a coolant leak, oil leak, fuel filter issue. Bring extra filters, hoses, belt, tools, battery or two....I'm sure someone more awake than me will chime in.

Have a safe ride.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Install a civilian seat on the drivers side at least. I had Neon Buckets in my M109 and it rode like a Caddy.

If you go with the stock seat take a couple tubes of Prep H.

Make sure the windshield wipers are good to go...carry extra blades.

ODdave

extra fuel line, good tape and various hose clamps. check the plastic fuel supply line on the lower left side of the engine. Mine broke on me in TN, i was headed to Michigan. it is now copper

Sirblissfull

Heck I would just bring everything on the list for doing a vehicle recovery.

Including spare batteries.

Which route are you taking?

Highway 20 to 10 to 8?

Planning any stops or visits along the way?

Post up your route soon as you decide and what dates you plan on doing the drive. Then people can let you know if and when they can help if OR when you break down. Get phone numbers and times its ok to call. Stretches of west Texas and New Mexico you will be out of cell phone reception for long periods might want a CB.

Prod

I'll be taking I-20/I-10/I-8. I'd love to do some sightseeing on the way, but I think it's in my best interest just to get the truck there as quickly as possible just so I can devote any spare days of travel to slop time if something breaks. Also, I'll definitely post up my travel dates when I actually get my orders.

I'm actually going to be stationed at Miramar, not a corpsman though.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The most important thing to remember is that the only thing that lies more consistantly than a career politician is a deuce fuel guage.
There are some long stretchs out yonder.....carry at least 20 gallons of extra fuel....better yet get a 100 gallon tank you can mount in the bed and a 12 volt pump (you can run it off one battery).

Getting caught out in the boonies with an empty tank sucks.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be taking I-20/I-10/I-8. I'd love to do some sightseeing on the way, but I think it's in my best interest just to get the truck there as quickly as possible just so I can devote any spare days of travel to slop time if something breaks. Also, I'll definitely post up my travel dates when I actually get my orders.

I'm actually going to be stationed at Miramar, not a corpsman though.
Welcome! Miramar was my 1st duty station (before we gave it away to the Marines). I'm at 32nd street waiting on retirement. I live 70 miles north, but I'll PM you my number in case you have problems. I'll help any way I can.

papaydsailor

do a lot of rest stops.your self move travel advance pay is not gonna be enough if you stay in those hotel every night.use those military bases BEQ along the way if you can. bring a lot of snacks coffee, theres gonna be a long stretch of road in some of those states. bring extra fuel. oh for sure your butt gonna be sore. you might get an overheating problem when you get to Arizona because of alot of uphills road. but you and your MV gonna love the weather here. been there done that groton connecticut to mramar san diego on a 78 cucv.:grd:

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck on your trip! My son is assigned to the USS Rentz in San Diego. Pm me I will give you his name and contact info, he can tell you about the scarce parking spots on base. Looks like fuel costs are going up soon, especially diesel, so Wreckerman is right pack away some extra fuel. You don't want to experience shortages or panic buying while in the middle of no-where. Are your tires in good shape? I would take extra spares and a few extra tubes and flaps just in case.

Prod

First leg down, 500 mi to Dallas. Only thing of note was I lost both headlights for about 3 sec while driving at night. Generator voltage was in the green. I cycled the light switch and it didn't happen again. I also got a pretty mean sunburn on my left arm, picking up sunscreen before hitting the road today.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prod, I am west of Phoenix on I10, I know you will be on I-8 by then.
But if you need something!! PM'ed my phone number.
I can make it to Gile Bend on I-8 in about Hour.
Good luck!!!:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks