• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mermite can in Jerry can holder

SuperchargedRS

Hey,
I was thinking of getting a mermite can off eBay and gutting it to hold some climbing gear and other misc. stuff, will a mermite can fit in the rear left mount of the M1009??

Thanks,
-SuperchargedRS

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some HMMWVs have racks in the back that hold 1, 2 or 3 40MM cans. 40MM cans are the same as 20MM cans but shorter. These may work with a mermite. If not one could fab one up right quick with some 1" angle iron, a couple of footman loops and some pack straps.
Wait, I just re read the original post. Why filet up a mermite when you can get a 20MM ammo can much cheaper and it will hold more. I'd look into the 20MM cans for sure.

ONTOS66

If you want to put a "box" where the can holder belongs on the M1009 why not pickup an ammo can (or any other strong container) of the size that fits your needs, remove the water can holder, drill holes in the bottom of the ammo box and bolt it in place?

acetomatoco

Lots of wasted space in a mermite due to the insulation...better to use a 20 mm can and hold it down with two footman loops and a strap... ACE

CGarbee

I agree, save the Mermite for holding your drinks for after the climb... With the inserts removed, you can put in 24 12oz cans and plenty of ice... Use an ammo can for the climbing gear...

CGarbee

Re: can

papercu said:
I was just kidding, it already has a bid and I just wanted to move it from the front pouch. Wayne
But then you will have to get off the couch when you need a drink... :(

Seriously, I don't know how I could survive without mine... Hope you get a good price for it...

SuperchargedRS

Thanks for the replies

I decided to just keep with the fuel jug back there (just haven’t decided if I want to get fill it with fuel or use it as a water jug (probably should decided before putting diesel in eh?)).

As far as the mermite, I got outbid and don’t really want to pay allot for it if I am going to use a jerry can, especially when I can just but my gear in a duffle bag and stow it behind the spare tire!

-SuperchargedRS

As stated above by others an ammo can/box is best for your gear; the mermite is insulated and great for cold stuff; it will not close securely without the rubber seal. A large (20mm, 40mm) ammo can shoud be available for $10-20 at most, the mermite will be 2X to 3X that. Fuel and water cans are DIFFERENT, you should never put water in a fuel can or fuel in a water can.

ditto on NEVER

jld66 said:
Fuel and water cans are DIFFERENT, you should never put water in a fuel can or fuel in a water can.
Fuel cans and water cans have different closing systems/caps. If you have put fuel into a water can, PLEASE label it in 4" letters "FOR FUEL ONLY" on all sides. I had to use my water cans in an emergency one winter, and it wasn't until I was pouring the water into the coffee maker that I smelled the fuel. Metal Water cans have a coating inside designed to keep from rusting the can and contaminating the water, but that also absorbs fuel.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: ditto on NEVER

I just keep them segregated - fuel only in fuel cans, water in water cans. However, with the price of gas being what it is, having a filled fuel can on any mount on your truck is just begging to be stolen. And in Virginia, you can't lock it inside your truck by law. You have to carry it empty - if you run outta gas, you have to carry it to a gas station to fill it up, on foot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks