• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Met the driver of my M1009

Biggles

So after a brief visit to the local PD to discuss the legality of mounting my license plate in the back window of the truck I swung by the hardware store on the way home, when I came out there was somebody pointing at my truck and asking random people if they owned it. I stepped up and it turned out he was stationed at fort McCoy with the 181st infantry and recognized the truck he was assigned to. I got this thing from Ft McCoy a month or two ago. He knew what number the truck was even though it had been painted over. So that was neat. Oh and in other news apparently my heater doesn't work very well, glad I didn't have to wait until this fall to find that out.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you got his name and contact information. He is undoubtedly full of information on the history of the vehicle, or at least in the later years. You are in an enviable situation having not only identified, but talked to the guy. He might even know earlier drivers.

As far as the license plate, have you considered using a magnetic mount like dealers use for their tags? I use these on my M35A2 and all my trailers and they have the added advantage that you can easily remove them when a tag is not needed.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the license plate, have you considered using a magnetic mount like dealers use for their tags? I use these on my M35A2 and all my trailers and they have the added advantage that you can easily remove them when a tag is not needed.

Use a bit of stainless safety wire fasten your tag to the vehicle if you use a magnetic mount. I safety wire my tags when they're cable tied to the front of my Jeep (lack of a factory mount) or flimsy plastic trailer mount. Easy to snip if you want it to come off, and hard to see so it doesnt look half-assed. 1 minute insurance that'll at the very least save a trip to the DMV if it drops off.

Biggles

I did not get his name and/or contact information but it's a small town I plan on tracking him down the guy at the hardware store knows him and I know the guy at the hardware store......I had considered the magnet mount plates but I didn't want it to fall off but with safety wire.......I may go that route now that I think about it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had considered the magnet mount plates but I didn't want it to fall off but with safety wire.......I may go that route now that I think about it.
I looked at several magnetic mounts and most were junk. The ones I got are very good, won't mar the paint and won't fall off. I've been using them for about a year now without problems. I bought them off the internet - I'll see if I can find the supplier.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe if I had another M1009 (I don't) and it I had to run a tag (I don't) I'd construct something to display it on the back of the spare tire. I'd even wire a light for it.

Biggles

My initial plan was to build a little bracket that would display it in front of the spare tire, light and all. I asked the local PD about doing that and he said he personally would never pull anyone over or write them up for that but it IS technically against the law and there are Officers that could and would write me up for displaying it in the rear window instead of on the outside of the vehicle. I may just do that anyway, I still haven't found a magnet mount that I like.

zyrtecx

Purchase a 4 X 1 Aluminium strip from tractor supply and drill a hold in one end and attach it to the last bolt on right holding the top to the body. Then mark the strip where the strip needs to be twisted and remove and twist the strip in a vice so that when the strip comes around the spare tire ans is lined up straight so you can attach the license plate , then bend the strip on around the spare tire and bend so the strip goes inside the spare tire, You will have to cut approx 3 to 4 inches off the end and then drill a hold about 1/2 inch from the end and attach the strip to the bolt holding the spare tire in place and attach the strip with a self locking net . Line up your license where you want it and drill to holds to attach.

Check this one out...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/27922-wheres-your-license-plate.html