• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal battery boxes stink

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So clintogf has this pretty nice gun ring truck she got from Redstone. Whistler, radials, air shift and the cab plate and 3 ring legs.

I went to pull the battery box out so I could retrofit it with a pair of brand new Optimas and adapters* and I find it's an old school metal one.

I don't really care one way or another to be honest.

Until I remove it and one battery nearly falls on my foot. Through the bottom of the box!

The truck is nearly rust free, the box is in no way indicative of the truck's condition.

Now don't get me wrong, the inevitable warping of the plastic ones drives me bananas (I have seriously considered building a brace to keep them from deforming) but this stinks!

So now she needs to find me a replacement battery box (I pulled the one out of one of my winch trucks that's getting a new transmission soon). Maybe I should tell her plastic battery boxes only come with DUKWs and to get a box, you have to get a DUKW. 8)

*anyone have a source for the adapters other than OD Iron?

Attachments

Last edited:

phil2968

Almost looks like mine but not quite! I put a slab of plywood to keep my batts off my feet! Need to take the box to the shop and weld in a new floor in mine!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The steel boxes are prone to rust but I've never had any with any type of adverse odor. The plastic ones are the way to go for sure. Suppose you could build one in wood shop. Adapters? You are a day late and a dollar short, just threw a pair in the garbage and the truck came this morning. Don't know what to tell you about the smell.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Adapters? You are a day late and a dollar short, just threw a pair in the garbage and the truck came this morning.
You threw away Optima adapters? I think the sun is getting to you.

It's been cheaper for us to upgrade the trucks to new Optimas w/ adapters than find new 6TL's.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You threw away Optima adapters? I think the sun is getting to you.

It's been cheaper for us to upgrade the trucks to new Optimas w/ adapters than find new 6TL's.
Yes I certainly did! My $35 batteries won't fit in them!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes I certainly did! My $35 batteries won't fit in them!
Your deuces start with lawnmower batteries?

Maybe I should go pull the 51R's out of the Jeep and try them!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the cheapest walmart batteries I can get. Been known to use the 40 month cheapies frm NAPA as well. Deuce starts every time. The price has gone up some, think they are approaching $45.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
what is an optima adapter? i've got a metal batt. box and optima's in it and i don't have adapters, i don't think. and i like the metal boxes better, the plastic warping bugs me to much to use one.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
what is an optima adapter? i've got a metal batt. box and optima's in it and i don't have adapters, i don't think. and i like the metal boxes better, the plastic warping bugs me to much to use one.
The adapters are to mount the Optima in the box that was designed to hold a 6TL. The adapter fits in the recesses in the box, then the batteries clip into the adapter.

Attachments

emr

I love the mettle boxs, they are just original equipment to me, I clean em and paint em like up to 2 times a year, the first one i got i had the bottom put back in , at a quality fab shop for 125.00 it was worth it, to me..

SEAFIRE

Both our 1968 M35A2's had rusted out metal battery boxes, we got a plastic one from the 1967 M35A2 we retired, and had to order another metal one from Boyce Equip. as no-one had any plastic ones at the time.

The optima batteries and adapters work well, especially with our emergency lights, siren, radio, etc. We've been using them for a few years now. The local Interstate battery dealer showed them to us way before I read about them here.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got the battery box from the parts m925 (Mt Airy, NC), it had a yellowish mat liner in the bottom. Can't find it in the parts manual, but assume it's an acid neutralizing mat and I now use it under the batteries in the 757 aluminum box and under the batteries on the MEP018 battery tray.
The commercial equivalent could be this:
Acid Neutralizing Mat: BatteryMart.com

It may help stop some of the corrosion, although the M925 box is pretty holy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks