• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

metal in oil pan

2deuce

When I changed the oil the first time after I bought the truck I had some large pieces of metal in the waste oil bucket. Made me worry some that my oil pressure is never over 30lbs also, even when cold. There are 51000 miles on the odometer and 1700 hours on the clock. I have put on about 2000 miles since, runs strong. Should I be concerned? Any ideas where this might have come from? Thanks

M35guy

IMO, anytime you find metal in the motor oil, its a cause for concern. if your oil pressure is never above 30psi. I think you've got something wrong, but I'm not sure what.

ajg6989

check the bearings on the lower part of the rods and check the oil scavenger for cracks next time you have the oil pan off. Just look over the inside of the engine.

red devils dude

low oil pressure, high hours for a deuce(at least from what I've seen) your bearings are in bad shape may be tost if it was me first chance I got I would pull the oil pan.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know what kind of metal is was? If it's silver babbit , then it's the bearings. Brass, cam bearings. Cast iron chunks, then who knows!. Try putting a machinical oil pressure guage on it and checking the pressure. the guage may not be telling you the truth!!!!

painkiller

yeah ive got something to add to this the first time i did a oil filter change in my truck pulled the filter and because the plug to drail the filter reservoir there is rusted on there i decided it would be easier to just suck all the oil out the best i could, good thing i did decide to do that because i felt down inside and i found a random nut that goes to some bolt what it could be i have no idea its been in there for a while though because there was caked on oil all over it talk about metal in an oil system

Rocco

I found a peice of a bearing in my oil pan .
It works fine for now I guess.
Could I replace the bearing just taking the oil pan off?

red devils dude

it's not that bad it's a bit of work to get the oil pan off(took me 30mins) there's lot's of turning the crank by hand and
stuff plus geting the top half of the main's out is tricky, you put a nail in the crank's oil passage turn the crank the wrong way and the nail will push it out I can talk you through it if you do replace them.

Rocco

Allrite thanks alot
I wont get to working on it till this weekend
Well actually i need to order the bearing first
So it is called a Rod bearing?
So when I order it they will know what im talking about.

red devils dude

rod bearings are the Connecting Rod's bearings they connect the crank to the pistons and the main's
hold the crank in the engine got it.
p.s whats your email

Rocco

umm it was a broken piece of metal that looked like a regular' ball bearing ' bearing
But if it busted in there you'd think there would be little stell balls every where.