• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal in Rear Axle?

Corvette1974

Hello All,

Just changed the fluids on the M35. All of the fluids came out as expected - dirty and slightly metallic, probably hasn't been changed since 1990 overhaul. The rear axles were definitely the dirtiest with the most material on the magnets. The rearmost axle actually had two pieces of metal come out when I drained it - They seem to be hard (probably steel) and are about 3 inches long x 1/16 inch wide and about 1/16 thick and seem to be from something round (they are half circles).

The truck doesn't have any major leaks from that axle, nor were there any weird sounds from the truck. Center driveshaft doesn't seem to have any excess play.

Any ideas? Is this safe to run? Maybe just junk from an overhaul? I can post pictures if needed.

Thanks,
Will

rustystud

Hello All,

Just changed the fluids on the M35. All of the fluids came out as expected - dirty and slightly metallic, probably hasn't been changed since 1990 overhaul. The rear axles were definitely the dirtiest with the most material on the magnets. The rearmost axle actually had two pieces of metal come out when I drained it - They seem to be hard (probably steel) and are about 3 inches long x 1/16 inch wide and about 1/16 thick and seem to be from something round (they are half circles).

The truck doesn't have any major leaks from that axle, nor were there any weird sounds from the truck. Center driveshaft doesn't seem to have any excess play.

Any ideas? Is this safe to run? Maybe just junk from an overhaul? I can post pictures if needed.

Thanks,
Will
Is it cast-iron or steel ? If it's steel it could be your bearing cages. If it's cast-iron then it's the housing itself. Either way you need to find out what went wrong in there. You don't want to be driving down the high-way and have something "give" . It would not make your day !

Corvette1974

Is it cast-iron or steel ? If it's steel it could be your bearing cages. If it's cast-iron then it's the housing itself. Either way you need to find out what went wrong in there. You don't want to be driving down the high-way and have something "give" . It would not make your day !
Metal is magnetic, shiny, and definitely steel. Seems to have been worn away at.

Pictures are below.

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to have to roll that axle out from under the truck. Once out, pretty easy to pull apart. If it's BER, roll a take out axle in. Rockwell axles are easily fixed, lots of parts available.

Corvette1974

Going to have to roll that axle out from under the truck. Once out, pretty easy to pull apart. If it's BER, roll a take out axle in. Rockwell axles are easily fixed, lots of parts available.
I need to pull the axle to swap the third member? It looks like there is plenty of space to get it out/in with the axle in place. Especially because it is the rearmost axle...

Will

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The center unit is heavy, tough to lift it out of there, try it. Do not drop it on your foot.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd jack the truck up to give yourself extra clearance. Those axles are on a beam suspension, make sure it won't move on you while your working on it. Also, you'll have to pull the axles out in order for the chunk to come out(up).

Corvette1974

The center unit is heavy, tough to lift it out of there, try it. Do not drop it on your foot.
I'd jack the truck up to give yourself extra clearance. Those axles are on a beam suspension, make sure it won't move on you while your working on it. Also, you'll have to pull the axles out in order for the chunk to come out(up).

I have to jack the back up anyway because I have a flat tire so that won't be a problem. No problem pulling the shafts.

My buddies and I will come up with some crafty way to get the third member out. I am feeling some ratchet strap magic will be occurring...

I am working on acquiring a new third member now, so I will get back to you guys when I find out more.

One question I do have - Do you think that I could repair this third member in the future? Maybe some new bearings and it will be alright (for s spare).

Will

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One question I do have - Do you think that I could repair this third member in the future? Maybe some new bearings and it will be alright (for s spare).

Will[/QUOTE].

You have to get it out & look at it. I once had an OTR truck with a similar problem, as the one you are describing & when I got it out, I thought the ring & pinion were trashed. I took it to a gear shop that I trusted & they assured me the R & P were far from shot. Bearings did the trick - I ran it for another 500+k.

Getting that pumpkin out is one thing, but I would rather do about anything, then try to get a nice clean 3rd member back in in tight quarters, trying to keep it clean. I'd roll the whole thing out/ take the bed off, etc., first.

I have pulled a third member out of my M211 when I found metal to discover it was trash from a past over haul . good luck and let us know what you find .

Corvette1974

Will

You have to get it out & look at it. I once had an OTR truck with a similar problem, as the one you are describing & when I got it out, I thought the ring & pinion were trashed. I took it to a gear shop that I trusted & they assured me the R & P were far from shot. Bearings did the trick - I ran it for another 500+k.

Getting that pumpkin out is one thing, but I would rather do about anything, then try to get a nice clean 3rd member back in in tight quarters, trying to keep it clean. I'd roll the whole thing out/ take the bed off, etc., first.[/QUOTE]

I have some ideas about how to get a new unit in haha. Definitely not looking to pull the axle or bed right now.

I have pulled a third member out of my M211 when I found metal to discover it was trash from a past over haul . good luck and let us know what you find .
That is what I am hoping - I have heard enough stories of this to leave me with some hope haha. Especially because I don't feel any slop, there are no weird sounds, and there weren't any other parts and not that much more metal than the other axles if anything.

I'll pull it and let you guys know.

Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks