• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal shavings in the transmission

JCKnife

I was checking the fluid levels in all my differentials and trans. case and transmission today. The transmission I don't think I had ever checked before. The fill plug has a magnet on it, and there were quite a few metal shavings stuck to this magnet. I cleaned them off as best I could before re-installing the plug.

I know that metal shavings are NEVER a good thing, but how bad a sign is this. Is it normal or "OMG don't drive it!" bad?

Seth_O

While not deuce-specific, I find that I virtually always have some level of metal 'sludge' on my magnetized drain plugs in my vehicles. The sludge is a mixture of metal filings/shavings and oil. When I rebuilt the transfer case in my landcruiser I had a pretty good sized volume after the first couple of oil changes (done at 100 and 500 miles.) This was very normal and I was prepared for it.

That being said, the metal material is always VERY fine. If you're seeing chunks or larger pieces, you may have a problem. Would be much easier to tell if you have a picture you could post up.

royaltiger1945

Seth_O is right. Metal parts will always produce some fine filings or shavings when they are new until they wear down to a better fit. Same reason why the first oil change on new engines are recommended earlier than the normal service. When you see large chuncks, its time to worry. I always try to break things in and then switch over to Amsoil. Makes things quieter and don't see anywhere close to the amount that I have with conventional oils. If the trans still shifts with no problems and no excessive noise, I would just change fluids and keep driving.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seth_O is correct. I'm doing a tranny fluid replacement on my jeep this weekend. Both napa and Advance-Auto-Parts said expect to find shavings and graphite at the bottom of the pan and the magnet especially if this is your first replacement. "Fine is fine, chunky is funky" I believe is what he said.

JCKnife

Good deal, thanks guys. Most of it was powdery sludge but there may have been a piece or two getting close to 1/4 pinkie fingernail size. But not quite.

JCKnife

Thanks DB, yeah of course mine does have that but mine is sunk flush with no exposed threads and it's been painted over, so it's harder to ID. But no, that's not the plug I removed. I was nervous because if I HAD removed the drain plug then it would have been clearly low on oil! But no, mine has a magnet on the fill plug.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks