• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meter interchangeability MEP-004A, MEP-005A,MEP- 006A

1800 Diesel

Does anyone know if the meters on these three units can be swapped out from the other models? In particular I'm looking at the percent power meter & the AC amp meter.

Also, besides the freq meter, what about interchangeability of these meters from a 400 hz unit? Can a percent power or AC amp meter from a 30 or 60 KW 400hz model work in a MEP-004A?

Thanks

Edit update--The % power meter that was from the 60 KW 400hz unit works fine in the MEP-004A--rock solid needle movements with no bouncing. I also noticed that the meter housing did not have 100 % continuity to ground & I corrected that situation but the meter continued to bounce during operation so I replaced it. I put about 9KW on the unit & the meter showed something near 60 % load. This same unit tested over the weekend at 18.8 KW load for an hour & the meter showed about 130 %. L1 was pulling 83 amps & L3 was pulling 74 amps. (Single phase mode.)

Thanks to all for the suggestions with the meter bounce issue.

Last edited:

cuad4u

On 002A and 003A generators the % power meters, AC volt meters, and Hz meters will inter-change. Since the AC volt meters all read directly (no transducer or transformer) they should all be the same. Not so for the % power meter and Hz meters which all use either a separate transducer or CT (current transformer). As I remember all these are a bit different on the 004A and up.

R Racing

I know between the Mep-004a and Mep-005a are the same I'm not sure about the Mep-006a? But I would think yes. as the control boxes appear to be the same.

1800 Diesel

I know between the Mep-004a and Mep-005a are the same I'm not sure about the Mep-006a? But I would think yes. as the control boxes appear to be the same.
The meter I have was supposed to have come off a 60 KW 400hz unit. I'll dig through the parts TMs & compare NSNs for each one--probably the safest thing to do. Was hoping someone had already crossed this bridge...

Thanks

PeterD

Meter swapability can be confirmed by looking on the meter face (usually at the bottom) for something that says FS and a number. There may be an equal sign, colon between the FS and the number, but the number indicates the amount of current needed to move the indicator to the full scale mark. If the FS of the meters is the same (say 60) then they can be swapped.

Not all meters have the same FS, and some (frequency for example) are specifically paired with the sending module and swapping one requires swapping the other.

1800 Diesel

Meter swapability can be confirmed by looking on the meter face (usually at the bottom) for something that says FS and a number. There may be an equal sign, colon between the FS and the number, but the number indicates the amount of current needed to move the indicator to the full scale mark. If the FS of the meters is the same (say 60) then they can be swapped.

Not all meters have the same FS, and some (frequency for example) are specifically paired with the sending module and swapping one requires swapping the other.
Thanks Peter--The one I have reads "FS=1.2 MADC"...assuming that would be milliamps & DC voltage. So it seems the KW capacity (& freq range of the unit) is less relevant than the full scale deflection value of the meter. I'll also check NSNs to see if that shows anything.

BTW, the meter I'm wanting to replace bounces too much when the set is running. (The generator runs very smoothly so the bouncing is not caused by vibration as typically seen on some MEP-002As.) The AC amp meter also bounces but not quite as much as the percent power meter. Do you know of any other reason gauges or meters would bounce back and forth while the generator is running?

Appreciate the assist! :)

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen sensitive gauges bounce around when there was a grounding or EMI issue. You may want to go though and be doubly sure of your grounds or other potential loose/corroded connections are clean and solid.

1800 Diesel

I've seen sensitive gauges bounce around when there was a grounding or EMI issue. You may want to go though and be doubly sure of your grounds or other potential loose/corroded connections are clean and solid.
h

That's a good plan... :) Was also considering if I should add another ground to the meter board...but then again, if the original is good, then no need... Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks