• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metro Detroit Mechanic Needed

pmorin42

Hello everybody, my name is Phillip. I am very impressed with the amount of information available on this website. Thank you for managing this community.

I am new to the world of CUCV ownership. I have recently purchased a 1984 M1008. It is a good solid truck, but it is not perfect. My concern is that Michigan has harsh winters. I would like to start preparing this truck to endure the elements. I do not have the time for trial and error though.

Does anybody know where I can find a trustworthy and experienced mechanic in the Metro Detroit Area that is willing to perform the work that is necessary? If this is not the correct forum, please let me know where I should post this.

Thank you

stationjj

Yea, I understand your concerns. I live in Nashville TN. I try an do what I can with my CUCV. Sometimes I need help beyond my knowledge and shop space.

I suggest you do some research concerning diesel shops in your area. Call them up or visit and figure out what they will do.

It took me some time, but I have a list of shops if needed for the CUCV. I found most diesel shops don't want to deal with some small older 6.2 in a truck.
I had several turn me away. I found one that would do strictly engine work. Finally I found a shop that will do work most any work beyond engine.

The CUCV is a odd beast. Most shops don't understand it. They want some computer to plug into to diag problem.

cucvrus

If you want to keep the truck good and solid. Keep it out of Michigan winter elements. The truck is 32 years old at this point it will not like or last long when you start exposing it to the salt and hard road conditions of a Michigan winter. These trucks have outlived the original design and life expectancy. The best thing to do is drive something less valuable in winter and keep the CUCV for nicer weather. Unless you want to watch it rot away to nothing in few years. It is your truck. But for the most part the truck is a stock Chevy 1 ton 4 x 4 diesel truck. Not much special about anything but the electrical system. And if it works currently. Don't mess with it and it will keep working. When it does not work exchange the defective parts and keep it at that. Do not resign the 30+ year old working system. Maintain it and replace parts as needed. Good Luck. I would start by changing the batteries and all the fluids/filters and start from there. Let us know what you find. I hope you have a solid un-hacked truck. They are hard to find this late in the game. Have any pictures?

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree on the road salt up there.
It will eat that truck up unless you do very extensive rustproofing and undercoating.
Both topics discussed before on this site.

He's correct.
These trucks are getting harder to find unmolested and without rust rot.

Pics would be great!

Welcome to the club!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everybody, my name is Phillip. I am very impressed with the amount of information available on this website. Thank you for managing this community.

I am new to the world of CUCV ownership. I have recently purchased a 1984 M1008. It is a good solid truck, but it is not perfect. My concern is that Michigan has harsh winters. I would like to start preparing this truck to endure the elements. I do not have the time for trial and error though.

Does anybody know where I can find a trustworthy and experienced mechanic in the Metro Detroit Area that is willing to perform the work that is necessary? If this is not the correct forum, please let me know where I should post this.

Thank you
PM inbound

pmorin42

I just moved from Franklin, TN to Ferndale, MI. I loved Nashville, but I had to move for work. I helped launch the 2017 GMC Acadia and Cadillac XT5 down in Spring Hill. That project is over and now I am moving onto something new.

I most definitely will start shopping for my go to diesel shop. This truck is my new baby and I intend on taking great care.

I have to agree with you unfortunately. Most people do not want to use their head and troubleshoot something.

I'm jealous you have a M1009. I was lucky to find the M1008 that is driveable in the short amount of time I had.

pmorin42

If you want to keep the truck good and solid. Keep it out of Michigan winter elements. The truck is 32 years old at this point it will not like or last long when you start exposing it to the salt and hard road conditions of a Michigan winter. These trucks have outlived the original design and life expectancy. The best thing to do is drive something less valuable in winter and keep the CUCV for nicer weather. Unless you want to watch it rot away to nothing in few years. It is your truck. But for the most part the truck is a stock Chevy 1 ton 4 x 4 diesel truck. Not much special about anything but the electrical system. And if it works currently. Don't mess with it and it will keep working. When it does not work exchange the defective parts and keep it at that. Do not resign the 30+ year old working system. Maintain it and replace parts as needed. Good Luck. I would start by changing the batteries and all the fluids/filters and start from there. Let us know what you find. I hope you have a solid un-hacked truck. They are hard to find this late in the game. Have any pictures?
I understand what you mean and I fully agree. My intention is to drive this in the winter and take all precautions necessary to prolong it's life. I cannot own something and not use it.

Do you think that reading the technical manuals would be beneficial or are they primarily for troubleshooting? Is there an owners manual that gives all the recommended maintenance schedules.

Currently it does work, but with one issue that I know of. The engine takes a long time to fire up. I have to turn the key over and pump the gas pedal several times before it starts to combust. I can see white smoke coming out of the exhaust when it finally starts. I have started reading some of the recent threads to gain insight.

If it ain't broke I am not fixing anything. The guy I got it from said the truck was converted from 24V to 12V. Somebody did a ****ty paintjob. Everything else seems stock to me. I will get some pictures posted soon. It was raining all day and I was bust with unpacking.

Thank you for the advice.

pmorin42

Agree on the road salt up there.
It will eat that truck up unless you do very extensive rustproofing and undercoating.
Both topics discussed before on this site.

He's correct.
These trucks are getting harder to find unmolested and without rust rot.

Pics would be great!

Welcome to the club!
I will look into doing some rust proofing and undercoating. I would like to repaint the entire truck. Do Paint Shops offer rust preventive primer and paint?

This truck does not have a lot of damage from rust. I have found one spot between the bed and cab that will become a problem. Would a Body Shop be able to remove the rust and replace with new metal? Is that even feasible?

I will post some pictures soon. Thank you for the hospitality.

rustystud

If you go after the truck like a mad man then it can be a great running rig for years to come. I almost totally gutted mine. Almost a total frame off. I painted everything with quality primer and then a quality top coat except the outside panels. I kept the stock tan paint. I found the biggest rust areas to be the doors and front panels. I actually sandblasted the inside of the doors and painted everything. It's been almost 20 years now. I just keep sanding down areas that show some rust and paint it. It looks pretty blotchy but I have no rust.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in Farmington Hills but i don't have a lot of experience with the CUCV. I do feel I'm pretty fluent with the Deuce by now. Not apples to apples, but it helps. I know how to paint very well. I did my truck and by buddy's truck and they turned out good. I just did paint and that was it. I didn't repair rust holes on his as there were none.

pumping the gas on a diesel does not do anything. you have to hold the pedal down until it fires. You could have dirty injectors or bad glowplugs. Changing the fluids and filters is a good place to start with these animals. Reading the manuals is a huge advantage you can give yourself. I have learned a lot with my truck over the years by digging through the manuals looking for answers. I found answers to questions i wasn't really looking for. I consider reading the -10 operators manual a prerequisite to operating the truck and then the other manuals after. It will only help you out in the long run.

pmorin42

I'm in Farmington Hills but i don't have a lot of experience with the CUCV. I do feel I'm pretty fluent with the Deuce by now. Not apples to apples, but it helps. I know how to paint very well. I did my truck and by buddy's truck and they turned out good. I just did paint and that was it. I didn't repair rust holes on his as there were none.

pumping the gas on a diesel does not do anything. you have to hold the pedal down until it fires. You could have dirty injectors or bad glowplugs. Changing the fluids and filters is a good place to start with these animals. Reading the manuals is a huge advantage you can give yourself. I have learned a lot with my truck over the years by digging through the manuals looking for answers. I found answers to questions i wasn't really looking for. I consider reading the -10 operators manual a prerequisite to operating the truck and then the other manuals after. It will only help you out in the long run.
Awesome I may contract you for a paint job sometime down the road. Do you drive in the winter? How do you prevent rust from accumulating?

I took your advice and I appreciate it. I have noticed my truck starts quicker when I hold the pedal down, but I am afraid the Starter will burn out soon. I found a mechanic with experience and he will take a look at it in about a week. Do the manuals specify what kind of fluids and filters I should be using? Are these stocked at any auto parts store?

I printed the 185 page -10 manual and that will be my bed time reading material for awhile. It seems there are many additional vehicles in the manual that do not apply to my M1008. Would it be good to read about all of them or just focus on my truck?

Thanks

pmorin42

I finally got around to taking some pictures. Please don't mind the stupid bush. The rust hole is on the driver side between the lower cab and bed.

Does anyone think this hole is repairable?

Thanks
IMG_0184.jpgIMG_0185.jpgIMG_0186.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find the right body shop. There are patch panels for that truck. Cut that corner out, weld in new panel corner, paint to match.

cucvrus

Do it yourself. Glue the patch panels in place and paint it. Unless you are going to restore it you will be just as well off with the holes fixed. Then when you have it worn down you can do it right and weld them in place. IMHO. Drive it and fix what you have to, to make it safe and functional.

pmorin42

If I glue the patch panels in place then will the rust hole get bigger eventually? How long will the glue hold? My plan is to repaint the truck, do you think I should repair any holes beforehand?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome I may contract you for a paint job sometime down the road. Do you drive in the winter? How do you prevent rust from accumulating?

I took your advice and I appreciate it. I have noticed my truck starts quicker when I hold the pedal down, but I am afraid the Starter will burn out soon. I found a mechanic with experience and he will take a look at it in about a week. Do the manuals specify what kind of fluids and filters I should be using? Are these stocked at any auto parts store?

I printed the 185 page -10 manual and that will be my bed time reading material for awhile. It seems there are many additional vehicles in the manual that do not apply to my M1008. Would it be good to read about all of them or just focus on my truck?

Thanks
There is a list of filters somewhere on the site that will cover your truck. I know it is here somewhere and they will be easy to source locally.

I could paint your truck sometime. The paint is very forgiving and we could paint it now and you could still worry about body work later. It would be easy to touch up later. That is up to you though.

I think reading the TM about your vehicle is good and even looking at the specs of other CUCVs is also beneficial. I have looked at other variant deuces and it has answered questions I had that was helpful to me. Since they are all related, I do find it as "extra credit" when you learn about your truck. the more knowledge you suck up in your head, the better. It can also help you be more proficient at looking through the manuals for information, etc. I always like knowing how things work with my truck since it is interesting to me and not boring, so it motivates me to look in the manuals more. You will be amazed at the information you find that will be glad you found.

I'll have to stop by sometime and see your truck. You are not far from me at all.

Skinny

I would highly recommend learning how to wrench on your own rig or be prepared to shell out some big dollars to get it reliable. It isn't super difficult work but lots of hours for any technician.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and I do not drive mine in the winter. The salt will eventually eat it up and I don't want that. It sits all winter with a full tank of fuel so if I needed it in an emergency, its ready and on call. :)

pmorin42

There is a list of filters somewhere on the site that will cover your truck. I know it is here somewhere and they will be easy to source locally.

I could paint your truck sometime. The paint is very forgiving and we could paint it now and you could still worry about body work later. It would be easy to touch up later. That is up to you though.

I think reading the TM about your vehicle is good and even looking at the specs of other CUCVs is also beneficial. I have looked at other variant deuces and it has answered questions I had that was helpful to me. Since they are all related, I do find it as "extra credit" when you learn about your truck. the more knowledge you suck up in your head, the better. It can also help you be more proficient at looking through the manuals for information, etc. I always like knowing how things work with my truck since it is interesting to me and not boring, so it motivates me to look in the manuals more. You will be amazed at the information you find that will be glad you found.

I'll have to stop by sometime and see your truck. You are not far from me at all.
Great I look forward to it. Right now my priority is the Powertrain and Chassis. I really want to make sure I have this truck ready for the winter. I am more than willing to do whatever I can to reduce rust.

I definitely intend on knowing as much as I can about this truck. I want this to last and exceed any expectations.

If you have the time, I would really appreciate you giving me your advice after seeing my truck. I really need to compare and set a baseline for this truck.

Thanks again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks