• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MF erratic starting

Dodgeman1941

Hi Guys;

Back ground M35A2 with a LDT465D, with a bypassed comp. Runing on approx 40% diesel, 50%WMO, 10% old mineral spirts. When I park it it marks it's territory really well with fuel and oil. Last week running like a top, went to a show last last week about an hour and a half away running about 2400 rpm avarage. Laste in the trip I notice that when I put the clutch in and let off the gas to stop and it the RPM drops almost to stall and then recovers. Get there let it sit for a few hours, go to move it and she starts and runs up to 1400RPM and then dies. Multiple tries, same thing, finally feather the throttle just right to keep it running. Same thing happens almost all the times I try and start it all weekend. I go home and have the same almost stall at stop lights the whole way home. Leave and my bro's house for the night. Head out the next night to bring it home and it fires up and runs away {expecting it to settle down at 1400} it runs all the way to 2500 by the time I kill it with the engine stop. Then when I try and start it again it won't start, no smoke, no nothing. I've done some thread searching and I think the no restart might because I pull the kill so hard I might have jambed the kill lever in the IP.

Is the IP shot, is there air getting into the system freaking it out, input please.

Thanks,

Lew VB

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect you have clogged fuel filters. I would recommend draining and cleaning the fuel tank, flushing the lines and replace all fuel filters. Refill with straight diesel fuel. If this doesn't work, it has to be the IP. Also, it's easy enough to check the kill on the IP.

Cleaning the fuel tank and replacing filters isn't a wasted effort, even if this isn't the problem as this is good PM that is commonly skipped when there are no problems.

Heavysteven

I agree you should change the filters and drain the tank. However, leeaking fuel and oil is no good. Dripping oil ok, but if you leaking fuel you have a problem in the fuel system. That mineral sprits could be clean out your system causing the filters to clog.

1. Drain system/change filters and gaskets
2. Check for fuel leaks
3. If that fails i would say IP

Good Luck, let us know what you find out

Dodgeman1941

DING-DING-DING, we have an answer. I started by changing the frame mounted primary. Next removed the shut off cover and low and behold there was a lot of fuel in there. It fired right up and ran like a charm. Also as a bonus, I found the leak, and it was leaking big time. I'm thinking that the fuel was providing resistance to the little level that moves around as it trys to find idle.

So, is that a servicable seal or is that a rebuild the IP fix?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks