• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mfr: John r. Hollingsworth. Mdl: Mep-004a.

turbo15479

I bought the above genset in 30 kw. I know it is 3 phase and want to know if it can be converted to single phase 60 hz. If not can I still use it for emergency power for my home when the electric goes out? Thanks, Bruce

1800 Diesel

The MEP-004A model is rated at 15 KW. The MEP-005A model is rated at 30 KW. For either model you can tap off two of the phases right off the output lugs to get 120V and also 208v. The generator will not be balanced doing it this way but it will work. Some folks also tap off the third phase to power up their shop which will make the load more balanced. You need to read the tech manual (TM) to learn about the operation of these generators and also how to get the different voltages by changing the voltage reconnection board position.

For single phase conversion, Sewerzuk has an excellent post on this site which fully explains the rewiring details which will work on either model. Hopefully you have the 15 KW model as for most folks 30 KW is way too much output for household use & the unit will wet stack badly unless you can load it to 65-70% or more...

Kevin

1800 Diesel

It looks like a 15 kw.Its a military model pu794g.
According to the TM I have for that model, it appears to be an MEP-004A, possibly set up as a precise model. It's possible you can do the same wiring mods as per the Sewerzuk thread & videos. Can you post some pictures of the unit, including the data plates and do you have a tech manual for it?

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I do not have any manuals.Someone has removed some of the starter switches and messed with the wiring.It starts and runs good,It only has 25 hours on it.It was used a a 4h camp,the sold to a contractor who converted it back to 3 phase from what I understand.The 110 receptacle works fine.I have a generator guy coming tommorow to look at it.Thanks for your help.John

UnReconstructed

I have one of those…..a PU-794. I am currently running my house with it. I converted it per the instructions from Sewerzuk (thanks again Dude). It has been running for 3 days, all it seems to want is diesel.

UnReconstructed

the manuals for the 004a are correct (for the PU-794) except for the throttle regulation. As was mentioned earlier, its mostly a MEP004a. But the throttle control is different. Its not a manual throttle, and its not hydraulic. It has an extra electric box and a electric actuator to drive the actual throttle on the injector pump. There are tweak knobs on the electric box labeled 'gain' and 'stability'. I did find some sheets that seem to describe the schematic in the magic box. Haven't delved into the box because it works.

Last edited:

UnReconstructed

Yep. I love it. Its been running continuously for 4 days now. Powering my whole house....with hot water heater and oven. Cooked a chicken last night in the oven. I feel terribly decadent....most everybody in my neighborhood (Chester County, PA) has no power, or those little (5KW) generators......Supposed to get our power back today.....I'll believe it when I see it.