• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mice in my Convoy Lights

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a pic of them installed. We woke up to no rain so we skipped breakfast and got them on. Then I took Soldier B to Jack In The Box to make up for the missed meal.

At DiesalBob's suggestion I hooked them up to the circuit breaker. I already have 100W H4 headlights so the light switch is probably maxed out. The heater is also hooked up to the circuit breaker, but my buddy Sro is trying to get me another one.

Install wasn't too bad. I want to lower them some, but not all the way to the next adjusting hole. I might end up CAREFULLY drilling my own holes.

If anyone needs the directions I have a fresh minty set I can scan.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look good DUG. How are they adjusted for height? I thought it was just u-bolts around the pole?

AceHigh

They have holes in the poles and pins attached with little chains. Real easy.

Thus the coiled cord- to allow for any height. I usually just leave mine at the bottom with no pin inserted.

DieselBob

Install wasn't too bad. I want to lower them some, but not all the way to the next adjusting hole. I might end up CAREFULLY drilling my own holes.
Time to update your avatar. I agree that a hole between the fifst and second factory holes would be nice. I would have to pull them apart though to drill the holes because I know my luck.

Attachments

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time to update your avatar. I agree that a hole between the fifst and second factory holes would be nice. I would have to pull them apart though to drill the holes because I know my luck.
What I have done before is wrap tape so it prevents the drill bit from going in too far and hitting the wires. Then I would drill through each side instead of going all the way through. It's still risky and I may not do it, but it is possible.

I notice that mine are mounted lower than the ones in your second pic. Mine has the upper tab resting on the upper U bolt instead of the bottom. That means if I lower them all the way they would be below the top of the cargo cover.

Thanks for the circuit breaker tip too.

DieselBob

I used the two mounting locations and blocks so that I didn't crush the lower part of the soft top and super cord between the mount and pole. That way it is easy to remove the top. I would like to use the upper and lower holes but need to figure a way to keep the soft top from bunching up on the top mount and holding water. I know it's not much but it bugs me when it does that. I would like it so like yours they pretty much don't stick up above the cargo cover in the lowest hole.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added another circuit breaker today and hooked the heater and convoy lights to it. I put everything back on the stock breaker like it was. I pulled power from under the dash like DH suggested so they only come on when the ignition switch is on.

I installed a brake warning light from a HMMWV to remind me the convoy lights are on. A little brake cleaner removed the work "BRAKE" from the red lens of the light.

Here are a few more pics I took for my shipmate Jim.

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great!
You see how easy they adjust up and down? The pic is all the way down. I would like them up another 6 inches but there's no hole there. I might have to CAREFULLY do my own.