• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin 16 X 20.00 XZL on 2.5 Ton Axels

FromTheDust

I got four 53" tires for my Bobbed Deuce Project, Michelin 16 X 20.00 XZL's. The information I have found states that the rim width shoud be 10". Also I found that one of the features of this tire is that, if flat a 16 X 20 tube can be used. The stock split rims are 7.5" wide.

Has anyone matched up a stock 7.5" wide split rim with a 16 x 20 tube and a 53" XZL?

Has anyone widened the stock split rims by 2.5" to make the XZL's fit with tubes?

Any other ideas short of buying new rims to make these tires work would be great as well.

Thanks

PROSTOCKTOM

Well since "Booger" has the same 16.00"x 53" tires on his truck I'd say his suggestion to use a 12" rims with 6" offset might have some real merit. Forget the stock rims or trying to widen them out. I know it cost money , but the HEMTT rims are the safest and easiest way to go with that big of tire.

Tom

I made my own wheels. It took 8 deuce wheels to make 4 widened wheels. I flipped the centers around and mad them 12" wide. Its ALOT of work but they look good and they were free!
Lock rings on the Inside? very nice I like how that looks. So you cut the centers out, flipped them, welded them back in and then cut and welded to halves together ? And got them straight? With no run out ? Wow. good job.

p.s. " a lot" is two words

FromTheDust

cidrich,

thanks man. this sounds like the perfect option for me and my budget. what tubes did you use and where did you get them from? what backspacing did you get flipping the rims?

pete

cidrich

Booger Thanks for the complement. It was alot of work! I got the run out down to 1/16th. The factory wheels were aboout hat good.

Fromthedust I used 14r20 tubes. I know alot of people tell you you can not do this but "I DID" and have had no trouble. Its been about 8 months since I mounted them. I got them off of Epay. The back spacing is 6 inches. So they are centered. The wheel is 12 inches wide.

cidrich

In the next month or so I am going to make a set for a friend of mine and I will take lots of detailed pictures. Unfortunately these are the only pictures of the one I made. Sorry!:x

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thought the 1600s had a DIFFERENT style of BEAD, that would not work with standard rims

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I would never run that size tire on a split rim.
You mean the stock M35 lockring wheel...? I don't see so much of a problem right there... but I do know about the advantages of running tubeless tires on TUBELESS rims and would never go back to TT.
BTW: that's why I built those 20x11" 2pc - bolt together TL (and lockring-less) wheels, out of stock M35 wheels.

G.

You mean the stock M35 lockring wheel...? I don't see so much of a problem right there... but I do know about the advantages of running tubeless tires on TUBELESS rims and would never go back to TT.
BTW: that's why I built those 20x11" 2pc - bolt together TL (and lockring-less) wheels, out of stock M35 wheels.

G.

Bolt together? Lockring-less? out of stock M35 wheels? OK we need to know more. Do you already have a thread on this?

Thanks,
Greg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bolt together? Lockring-less? out of stock M35 wheels? OK we need to know more. Do you already have a thread on this?

Thanks,
Greg
Somewhere there was one about it... if I could only find it now...:-?

Some pics, here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...7-replace-split-rim-bead-seat.html#post428682

G.

Edit: found it.... in the SS-history channel!:smile:

This is the old thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/727-pics-super-singles-7.html#post18588
See my (long)post from ..... 07/10/2005 !!!, edited today.

Last edited:

FromTheDust

G,

I am going to get rid of the split rims and build-up a set of bolt together bead seat rims. Starting with two stock rims, take the split rim sides and toss em. Drilling the rivets out of the hub of one will allow it to be flipped, riveted back together and probably welded together for good measure, this should give me 4"of backspace to the factory bead side. I then plan on fabricating, well CAD and CNC work to make the two parting faces with the studs, I'm not exactly sure here how to make it air tight. Once the parting flanges are fabricated then I will make the width 10" by adjusting the size of the second bead to the flange. This should give me about 4" backspace or 6" backspace depending on which side is out. Do you see any compatibility problems with the stock split rim bead size and the 16 XZL's? Any insight on how to ensure that the rims are air tight may prove helpful, for now I plan on running tubes since I have not figured out the finer points of the rim construction.

Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks