• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin 365 XZL Very Bad Tire Shake

jesusgatos

Do they have ribs for the tire beads to seat on? Haven't taken any of my MRAP or 5-ton wheels apart yet, but most multi-piece beadlock wheels I've seen rely on some kind of inserts to keep the tire beads seated.

welldigger

Do they have ribs for the tire beads to seat on? Haven't taken any of my MRAP or 5-ton wheels apart yet, but most multi-piece beadlock wheels I've seen rely on some kind of inserts to keep the tire beads seated.
No. The inside of the wheel is smooth all the way around. There may be a slight taper from centerline to the bead area but nothing is needed but air pressure to keep the bead seated. I also wouldn't really call them beadlock wheels. They just happen to make an internal beadlock.

jesusgatos

Thanks for confirming. In that case, dunno if it's such a good idea to advise anyone to run those wheels without some kind of inserts. There's a much higher likelihood that tires will unseat and that rapid loss of air could be a real bummer. That's why they call them safety beads... you know... for safety.

welldigger

I'm still not following what your getting at. Everything I have been saying is that they are fine with no inserts. 2 piece combat wheels are just fine with NOTHING inside of them but air. I would wager the o ring in the wheel halves or the grommets on the valve stems would fail before the bead randomly unseated. At least with good air pressure in the tire.

Now if your airing down for off roading then that would be a completely different story.

I'm running a3 wheels with no inserts and I don't loose a bit of sleep. I'm more worried about a blowout than a bead coming unseated. I still don't loose sleep.

welldigger

I had XZLs mounted on A3 rims with run-flats this past week and half of them are losing air... Any hints, tricks, or secrets in mounting these properly?
First check the tires with soapy water to make sure you don't have a hole that needs plugged. Always use new o rings and valve stem grommets. Silicone grease on the o ring never hurts either. Tire mounting snot (lube) works wonders for helping to mount the tires and helps seal the beads.

Also are you sure your runflats or beadlocks are the correct width. A3 wheels are 11 inches wide. Most beadlocks and run flats are for 10 inch wide wheels!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks