• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin 365 XZL Very Bad Tire Shake

welldigger

Park your truck on flat concrete or asphalt. Then get down and look at the tread contact patch. It should be flat all the way across.

peashooter

Does anyone know by chance if the mudflats have to be moved to create enough space on the M109 with 395 XZL's??? It looks awfully close prior to installation!
I moved my m109 mudflaps back a tad with some spacers. There is a pick post 7 here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Build-Thread&p=1376641&viewfull=1#post1376641

Travis I hope you get this tire thing figured out soon. I hate these type of problems... The kind where you spend good money on new items and there is something wrong with them. I just had 4 out of 7 new grote led marker lights quit working after a half hour of use. Small issue compared to the tire problem but frustrating none the less

trider

I still dont have it figured out. I am still gone working out of town and can not find anyone willing to try and diagnose the problem locally while I am gone. I am almost to the point of buying 4 more tires and wheels and trying them. I really like the 365's over the 395's plus I sandblasted the MRAP wheels and painted them flat black so I have a lot of time in them. If I knew it was a wheel problem I would just get different wheels.

trider

I am thinking I may have a rim issue. Everyone I have talked to says they have not seen these large military tires that were bad due to out of roundness especially since these were new tires. I am looking into getting 1 piece wheels from Longs or Marsh Racing. My question is what size rim do I need and how much backspacing? I have already flipped the rear hubs on my truck.

peashooter

I don't know what the issue is but I'd try a couple simple checks before spending big money on new wheels. If it were me I would drive it around a bit just to warm up the tires a tad. Then I'd jack up the front axle one side at a time just enough so the tire is not rubbing on the ground preferably on cement or pavement. I'd then spin the tire slowly and see if it rubs on the ground in any spots or if there is any noticeable movement that might show if something is not concentric with the axle. If it does rub or look out of round somehow I'd probably just grab a piece of wood (like a 2x4) and put it upright next to the spinning tire (might want a help to spin the tire). Take a pencil or something pointy and hold it against the wood so the pencil is lined up with the outer edge of the rim(while it's spinning) to see if you can notice if the rim is not concentric. Basically my suggestion is just making a simple indicator so you can tell if you have a concentricity issue. If it is non concentric then this should narrow down if its the tire, rim, or adapter. If its not a concentricity thing then its probably a balance issue.
You should be able to do this pretty quickly with simple things like a bottle jack, pencil, and a piece of wood or better yet a square. call or pm if you want.

Last edited:

brianp454

Trider I have the same wheels with different adapters and the same problem. I don't think mine is as bad as yours, yet needs to get fixed. I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

Prospector GM

Trider,Just my two cents, presuming you have check the rims to see if the are true as outlined by peashooter. Have you set the toe in? My son bleadmaster 2002 and I put a set of 395-85R20 Michelin XZL on MRAP with adaptor plates from peashooter on to his m36a2 and set the toe in at 1/8''. And does fine, I would start with 1/8'' and then +or - 1/16''.Your caster might need to be increased. Also might be a bad front axle u-joint. All these thing together could add up to cause it to shake.:driver::driver:

trider

After doing some testing by spinning the tires after a short drive to heat up the tires it appears the tires and wheels are concentric, my disclaimer is that I was using a homemade pointer out of a block of wood with a screw attached to it do it's not scientific but doesn't appear anything is out of the ordinary as the tires spin.

welldigger

After doing some testing by spinning the tires after a short drive to heat up the tires it appears the tires and wheels are concentric, my disclaimer is that I was using a homemade pointer out of a block of wood with a screw attached to it do it's not scientific but doesn't appear anything is out of the ordinary as the tires spin.
Did you get these tires already mounted or did you mount them yourself? I'm wondering if a runflat isn't throwing the balance off.

welldigger

Then my bet is one or more has a beadlock or run flat that is throwing the balance out. Or possibly another object. Your best bet is to take one you know is causing the shake and break it down. That way you can see what's inside.

trider

So are you recommending removing the run flats assuming they have run flat inside? Do you have to take the two piece rim apart to remove the run flat or can it be done by just breaking down the tire? I am thinking about removing the run flats and having them put some balancing media in while it is broke down and see what happens.

welldigger

If there is something inside (runflat, etc.) it's worth removing just to see if anything changes. Yes you will need to take the 2 wheel halves apart and then remove the tire from the wheel. If it has a runflat they can be really fun to get out.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard how much effort it is to get run flats into the tire, I can only imagine how fun it is to remove them.

I think removing them would be the last option, unless you truly do not want them in the tire.

welldigger

Dunno if you can run those without runflats unless you replace them with something like these?
They run just fine with no beadlocks or run flats. Maybe not on an mrap but a deuce will be fine. The deuce just isnt that heavy. The only time it could be a problem is if you really aired them down and were really running it hard offroad. Then you might roll a bead loose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks