• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin 395 XZL on HEMTT wheels on a 900 series or multifule 5 ton

metalman99

I have new Michelin 395's mounted on new HEMTT wheels that I am going to mount on a 5 ton. The problem is that I don't have the truck yet. It was going to be an M52 multifuel tractor, but having driven one this week and being very disapointed with the power, I'm now considering an M931 either NHC250 or 8.3 turbo.

I want all of my wheels facing the same way, like the fronts. Does anyone know if:

1. If I flip the hubs on the M52 and mount this tire / wheel combo, will the front / rear track the same?

2. Same question for the 900 series truck?

Lastly, any opinion on the NHC250 vs. 8.3 turbo?

The wheel question is very important as I'm trying to make a final decision so I can move forward with the purchase.

metalman99

I'll simplify my question; has anyone flipped their rear hubs on a 5 ton to run HEMTT wheels turned around flush like the front?

If so, do front and rear track the same. I found this truck online, it seems to answer my question, but I would like to hear about the track.

$T2eC16d,!)UE9s3wDcrkBQD3U(g8Bg~~60_12.jpg

jrod66

this has been done on a members ride here on the board, you will have to search around the 5ton mods and hot rodding section, he has no steps, rear hubs flipped on an 813 i believe, its tan like the one in the pic

metalman99

Why is that, is it CTIS related? I've got 8 brand new HEMTT wheels with new Michelin XZL's and runflats to mount them flush side out all around. I'll be getting an M931a2 in the coming weeks expecting to do this.

Can someone post a pic of an m939a2 hub or assembly please.

metalman99

Can the rear hubs be flipped on an M931a1? I greatly appreciate hearing from anyone that can answer this or let me know if flipping an a2 is CTS related. I'm a day away from pulling the trigger on either an M931a1 or M931a2 and this wheel issue is a dealbreaker.

Thanks you!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Can the rear hubs be flipped on an M931a1? I greatly appreciate hearing from anyone that can answer this or let me know if flipping an a2 is CTS related. I'm a day away from pulling the trigger on either an M931a1 or M931a2 and this wheel issue is a dealbreaker.
PM Csmdavis in Hattiesberg, MS....he is recovering, shipping and parting out a lot of the 900 series trucks coming out of Camp Shelby....he may have a definative answer for you.

Csm Davis

Okay as to flipping hubs I will say that to the best of my knowledge I would say 939, 939a1 should be able to flip have not played with a2 enough to say but can find out.

metalman99

Okay as to flipping hubs I will say that to the best of my knowledge I would say 939, 939a1 should be able to flip have not played with a2 enough to say but can find out.
Thanks alot, I really appreciate it. It it's a matter of adding holes or machining, I can do that. If flipping affects the funtionality of the CTIS, I will disable it. Hopefully flipping will yield the same track as the front with the HEMTT's. Even if I mount the HEMTT wheels on an M931 with dished side out, because of the offset of the wheel it will still track too narrow in the rear. But I love these wheels, they look great and if need be, I'll machine new hubs to get the right offset.

Thanks for the reply CSMDavis, looking forward to your findings.

350TacoZilla

from what i have read none of the m939 trucks can have hubs flipped due to the design of the hub for the air brakes VS the air over hydraulic m800 series.

i do not know if you could put hydr. hubs onto the air brake axles and still get everything to work.

in pic the one on left is hydr. and can be flipped because it has same seal front and rear along with bolt pattern for the axle, the air brake hub on right necks down and you would have no place to bolt axle in if tried to flip them.these are fronts, but on the 800 series they are same front and rear, not sure if you could just use front hubs all around on air truck either.....5tons.jpg

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Also Zilla the hubs on the rear of a 939 series truck looks like the one one the left not the front hub you are showing on the right, show the rear hubs and the other side of them and we can have some useful information about the rear hubs as to if they can flip.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I have a question about mounting the wheels themselves, since hemtt wheels are not lug centric, how do they align correctly on a 5 ton?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks